Joachim Splichal's Patina Cookbook: Spuds, Truffles and Wild Gnocchi…

by Joachim Splichal

Patina is the stylish Los Angeles restaurant where everyone gathers to savour the gourmet delights of its innovative chef, Joachim Splichal. Now, Splichal shares his culinary vision in his beautiful full-colour illustrated Patina Cookbook, which features more than 60 delicious recipes that blend classic European techniques with fresh California cuisine. Each recipe, including Splichal's signature dishes, has been meticulously adapted for home chefs.… (more)

This book, the recipes, the photographs, the layout did Absolutely Nothing for Me except to make me glad that I never spent the money or time to eat here.

I do not care for trying-too-hard-to-be-artistic B&W photographs. I do not like trying to read small fine script on vanilla yellow pages, especially if it is information that I night need/want to use later. I do not complicated recipes. Nor do I like "Nouvelle Cuisine", it leaves me hungry, wondering what I've just tasted, and wanting to eat real food.

The recipes are definitely for the dilettantish upscale nouveau riche...and difficult to make That sure leave me out.

Maine Lobster "Harahan" w/ White Bean Mousse and Ham Hocks? Really?

Potato Oyster Ravioli w/ aged Zinfandel Sauce? No thank-you very much!

Sculpin w/ Zucchini Mousse (blech) and Chopped Plum Tomato Sauce? Um....no.

Terrine of Artichokes w/ Roasted Garlic Cloves & Hollywood Roof-Dried Tomatoes? The latter, what are those? Not to mention this was pretty unappetizing looking.

Odd Potato Plaques w/ Salmon in Lasagna Form w/ Littleneck Clam 'Vinaigrette'? Nope.

Layer Cake of Odd Potato Chips & Smoked Sturgeon w/ Horseradish Sauce? Still no!

Small wonder this book ended up in the book sale. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 172,049,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible