Lottie Biggs is (Not) Mad by Hayley Long

Lottie Biggs is (Not) Mad

by Hayley Long

I can't quite remember when I heard about Hayley Long's series of YA books about Lottie Biggs, though I think the conversation had something to do with Wales. The blurb on the back of the book grabbed me instantly, Lottie sounded like lots of fun and I couldn't wait to get reading.

The book takes the form of Lottie's English coursework - a piece of extended personal writing. She begins by writing about the general things she is doing; things that are happening at school, about the boy she fancies, how rubbish her part time job is. Slowly though the book deepens as Lottie reveals more of herself.

I really enjoyed reading about Lottie. I think she's a really well created character, the structure of the book means you really feel like you're getting to know her. The supporting characters are also brilliant, the girls she works with are again great teenage characters - reading about them transported me back to being a teenagers with ease.

I liked the way that the author blended the plot about being a teenager and the difficulties and angst and fun that this time contains with an exploration of mental health issues. Everything was dealt with carefully but never strayed into the territory of instructing or preaching. I think this approach would appeal to teenagers.

I really enjoyed this book and I'm thrilled there are two more books in the series, I don't want to say goodbye to Lottie just yet! ( )
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |

A heart-achingly honest and utterly hilarious voice - about the life of a teenage girl and so much more.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,646,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible