The Orchid Affair (Pink Carnation) by Lauren…

The Orchid Affair (Pink Carnation) (edition 2012)

by Lauren Willig (Author)

Member:Elizabeth088
Title:The Orchid Affair (Pink Carnation)
Authors:Lauren Willig (Author)
Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Reprint, 496 pages
Collections:E-book, Library Books
Tags:Historical Fiction

The Orchid Affair by Lauren Willig

After sixteen years as a governess, Laura Grey changes career paths, attends the Selwick Spy School, is rechristened as the Silver Orchid, and sent off to France to become the governess of Andre Jaouen who is one of Fouche's protegees. Things go pretty well until she discovers a plot to kidnap or assassinate Bonaparte and put a Bourbon back on the throne.

Part of Jaouen's role is to keep track of the artistic crowd in Paris. After all, his first wife was a noted painter before her death. He invites Laura to attend which causes her to meet people who were part of her childhood. Her parents were a famous sculptor and a famous poet who dragged her all over Europe until their deaths when she was sixteen. When one of their friends, painter Daubier, is arrested by Jaouen's rival Delaroche, the plot threatens to unravel and make it necessary for Jaouen to rescue him, grab his family, grab the Bourbon Prince, and leave Paris.

Laura calls on her fellow English spies to find a way to get all of them to safety. They find themselves traveling with a theatrical troop as they make their way to the coast and safety. I liked the way Jaouen and Laura grow closer as they travel together. Being forced to pretend to be husband and wife adds to their tension but also forces them to learn about each other.

In the present timeline, Eloise and Colin travel to France to celebrate his mother's birthday. Eloise is apprehensive but grossly underestimates just how horrible the situation really is. Luckily, it makes her relationship with Colin even stronger.

I can't wait to find out what happens next in the present and in the 1800s. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jul 11, 2016 |
The Orchid Affair by Lauren Willig is the eighth book in her Pink Carnation series and sticking with her winning formula all the usual ingredients are here. Laura Grey has been trained at the Selwick Spy School and has now been installed as the governess in the home of Andre Jouen, the right-hand man to the French minister of police. She is given the code name of the Silver Orchid.

Of course sparks fly between Laura and Jouen and the story culminates in a daring escape from France to England. The author also continues to insert the story of modern-day Eloise and Colin as their romance carries them to Paris for the birthday of Colin’s mother.

By this 7th book, the author knows full well what makes these books so successful, but I don’t know if it is me or the author but I felt as if it was a little tired and old. I also admit I rather missed the high comedy of the last book. There are still four books remaining for me in this series and I would like to read them all but if the next one doesn’t do a better job of engaging my interest, it may be the end of the road for The Pink Carnation. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 6, 2016 |
The Orchid Affair by Lauren Willig was another triumph. I don't know how she does it, but these books always manage to make me smile. They also make me glad that I read all those Regency Romances way back when. They familiarized me with every trope and plot twist possible. You would think that would make me easily bored by this series but it only serves to make them that much more fun to read. In the case of this particular book, I am also glad that I read Scaramouche, as a large portion of the plot of this book is taken straight from Sabatini. I listened to this novel and the recorded version is well done. Kate Reading has done another excellent job of narrating in the Pink Carnation series. ( )
  benitastrnad | May 19, 2015 |
This book reminded me of a The Scarlet Pimpernel and I loved that. It had that edge of your seat feeling when the heroine is behind enemy lines and does not know who to trust. Even though as the reader you know someone is going to be sympathetic to the cause and it's probably the love interest, but still you wonder how everything will reveal itself and work out. My one complaint is that it had some steamy scenes that felt unrealistic to the times. Despite that a very enjoyable adventure. ( )
  readr | Feb 25, 2015 |
I liked this one a bit better than the last. I seemed to feel more of a connection with the characters. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
To my brother, Spencer, who wanted to be a privateer but instead became a lawyer
"That was a short flight," I said, peering out the window as the wheels of our plane touched tarmac at Charles de Gaulle.

Laura Grey, a veteran governess, joins the Selwick Spy School and her first assignment is serving as governess for the children of Andre Jaouen, right-hand man to Bonaparte's minister of police. Jaouen and his arch rival, Gaston Delaroche, are investigating a suspected Royalist plot to unseat Bonaparte, and Laura's mission is to report any suspicious findings. Soon, Laura and Jaouen are forced on the run with the children, and with the help of the Pink Carnation they escape to the countryside, traveling as husband and wife. But Delaroche will stop at nothing to take down his nemesis. With his men hot on their trail, can Laura and Jaouen seal the fate of Europe before it's too late?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,026,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible