City of Bohane: A Novel by Kevin Barry

City of Bohane: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2013)

by Kevin Barry (Author)

Member:nohrt4me2
Title:City of Bohane: A Novel
Authors:Kevin Barry (Author)
Info:Graywolf Press (2013), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages

City of Bohane by Kevin Barry (2011)

English (16)  Spanish (1)  All languages (17)
It took me forever to get through this, but I did really enjoy it. The prose requires a certain fluid kind of mindset to enjoy--it's written in dialect, and some of the slang is made up, so you kind of just have to go with it.

I'm not much for books that are about the journey rather than the destination, but in this case I enjoyed both. I returned my library copy just so I could buy my own. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
In this not too far future, Bohane is a dark place fueled by dark hopes. An initial first person plural narration, occasionally renewed and eventually sourced to a specific individual, distances the reader from the stew of grubby ambitions. The language is the vast bulk of the value of this book. Where most modern language provides a dirt path that you can travel at your own comfortable pace, Kevin Barry's is made up of sharp word rocks, each requiring attention to be assembled into a sentence for the next step. The meaning isn't unexpected, but won't be assumed. There are many descriptions of clothing, but they are inset with all the flow of footnotes, and completely stripped of fun or passion which could conceivably add the flavor of creativity to the lives depicted. ( )
  quondame | Apr 24, 2018 |
I was very disappointed with this. The writing is seriously oool and even the premise is interesting, but the story never goes anywhere. I read the last 50 pages waiting for it to be over. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
This book had a "Clockwork Orange" feel to it. Barry creates this futuristic town in Western Ireland in 2053. Yet there is little or no technology in this crime ridden city. We see the waring factions like an old time western. What make this book interesting is the language and prose the Barry uses. It is incredibly creative and does a great job of developing a vision of the city. The plot and character development are a bit thin, but the feel of the book is excellent. The language takes getting used to and this may not be for everyone but it is not a long book and work the try. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Jul 8, 2015 |
"On display, even more than the strutting characters' fashion sense, is the author's virtuosic writing: he has created a unique vernacular of Irish speech patterns mixed with Caribbean terms, delivered in a breathless, conversational style. This hybrid will be of interest both to fantasy and to literary fiction readers."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, John R. Cecil (Nov 1, 2011)

The once-great city of Bohane on the west coast of Ireland is on its knees. Infested by vice and split along triballines, there are still some posh parts of town but it is in the slums and backstreets of Smoketown, the tower blocks of the Northside Rises and the eerie bogs of Big Nothin’ that the city really lives. For years, Bohane has been in the cool grip of Logan Hartnett, the dapper godfather of the Hartnett Fancy gang. But now they say his old nemesis is back in town; his trusted henchmen are getting ambitious and there’s trouble in the air...

Forty years in the future. The once-great city of Bohane on the west coast of Ireland is on its knees, infested by vice and split along tribal lines. There are the posh parts of town, but it is in the slums and backstreets of Smoketown, the tower blocks of the Northside Rises and on the eerie bogs of Big Nothin?? that Bohane really lives. For years, the city has been in the cool grip of Logan Hartnett, the dapper godfather of the Hartnett Fancy gang. But there??s trouble in the air. They say his old nemesis is back in town; his trusted henchman is getting ambitious; and his missus wants him to give it all up and go straight...and then there's his mother. City of Bohane is a unique and visionary novel that blends influence from film and the graphic novel, from Trojan beats and calypso rhythms, from Celtic myth and legend, from fado and the sagas, and from all the great inheritance of Irish literature. A work of mesmerising imagination and vaulting linguistic invention, it is a taste of the startlingly new.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,112,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible