A Is for Alibi

by Sue Grafton

Series: Kinsey Millhone (1)

5,7892071,297 (3.49)256
A Kinsey Millhone mystery. When Laurence Fife was murdered, few mourned his passing. Plenty of people had reason to want him dead. But the police thought his wife Nikki - with motive, access and opportunity - was the #1 suspect. The jury thought so too. Eight years later and out on parole, Nikki hires Kinsey Millhone, a gutsy P.I., to find the real killer. The trail is cold but Kinsey finds a lead. It brings her face-to-face with the murderer! This is the first in the popular series featuring California investigator Kinsey Millhone. She's 32, twice divorced, no kids, an ex-cop who likes her work ... and who works strictly alone!… (more)

English (153)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (157)
A is for Alibi is the first book in Sue Grafton's alphabet mystery series,
Kinsey Millhone a 32-year-old Private Investigator living in California. I have just started this series, but I really enjoyed this book. The mystery keeps pages turning as it fascinating, suspenseful and a real fast read. The character Kinsey is very independent, you feel as you now know her, and she is portrayed as somebody you do know. Nikki Fife has just been released from prison after doing 8 years for the murdering her husband, Laurence. Nikki wants Kinsey to find the person who really killed Laurence Kinsey begins to investigate and finds out about another murder committed only days after Laurence's that is extremely similar. The victim was the accountant for Laurence's law firm, Libby Glass, and she was killed using an identical method of poisoning. This trail is 8-years-old, and Kinsey knows it won't be easy to find the truth. Kinsey begins to put together a picture of the people involved and the circumstances that led up to Laurence's murder. But somebody is not too pleased with Kinsey investigating and unveiling facts that could lead to the true murderer. Kinsey gets herself into danger, and as she struggles to put the pieces together, someone is trying to stop ( )
  Arina42 | May 5, 2021 |
I have been meaning to read these for years, and I just never got around to it. So when I needed something different this week, I picked it up fromm the library and chugged on.

It starts out a bit slow but once you hit about the 70% mark, the rest of the book seems to fly by in heart pounding action. I have read largely young adult novels for the last couple of years, so a good mystery seems to be just what I had needed right now.

Kinsey Millhone is the type of character that any woman can relate to. She could be any one of us. No special powers, no hidden abilities, just raw nerves of steel and the refusal to let a question go unanswered.

The characters in this novel are complex and while part of me saw the ending coming, feeling like it had been choreographed a bit, I was still surprised at the ending and how it played out.

If you want a good heart pounding, intense mystery, this is definitely the book to read. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Apr 23, 2021 |
As a librarian, I knew about this series of books. I ordered them for the library and was happy when they were checked out. However, I had never read one myself. So where better to start than the beginning of the series?

So I started "A" is for Alibi and read it through quickly. I wasn't ever bored with it, although I felt sort of guilty whenever Kinsey went jogging, and I was sitting around reading. Since Kinsey jogs at the drop of a hat, I felt vaguely guilty throughout the book.

What I liked about the book is that it did feel like a slice of Kinsey's life. She is working on more than one case at a time. She does have to track down information (this is set before the ubiquitous smartphone or even laptop) to verify what is happening. What's more, she isn't perfect. She makes mistakes but tries to fix the problems they cause. Some of her choices are less than wise but don't we all make that sort of error?

The mystery was a good one, although I guessed the murderer before it was officially announced. That's okay because it meant the author played fair with the readers.

So it is onward with the next book in the series. At least they are easy to keep in order! I'd suggest this for anyone who likes PI novels. It only got four stars because it has the feel of a "first novel" with perhaps too much description. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jan 13, 2021 |
I had read a few Grafton novels when I was a kid and decided to try her work on as a grown-up. It's about as I remembered it, though with a little more sex and swearing than I had recalled (I mean, it's still pretty vanilla, though). This was about on par for me with the rest of mysteries I've read this year. Kinsey Millhone isn't as fun or memorable as a personality as some of the others (she no Nero Wolfe or Miss Marple or Poirot or Holmes), but she's fun enough to spend a few hundred pages with. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
Laurence, a two, three, four timing, attorney is dead. His wife was convicted of the murder and released after serving her time.
She's determined to find out who actually killed her husband cause it wasn't her. She hires Private Investigator Kinsey Millhone to crack the case.
Numerous characters and possibilities exist taking Millhone to Vegas, LA, the Salton Sea and back to her home base of San Francisco.
Reading the first in this series is like opening a time capsule. Written in 1982, the author refers to the fitness boom, exercise, diet and weight-loss techniques, Barry Manilow and Olivia Newton John, answering services and Dictaphones are office necessities. Millhone's business ethics are, at times, questionable and she's so darn apologetic when it comes to her irate new lover.
It will be interesting to see if Millhone will change over the course of the series.
The conclusion was exciting but ends rather abruptly.
I look forward to continuing on to B is for Burglar. ( )
  Carmenere | Jan 2, 2021 |

Toth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Chip Grafton,
who set me on this path
My name is Kinsey Millhone.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse
ISBN 1405072873 is for the Macmillan Reader, retold by John Escott
ISBN 0333925866 is for the Heinemann ELT Guided Reader

Back cover:

'My name isn Kinsey Millhone. I'm a private investigator, licensed by the State of California. I'm thrity-two years old, twice divorced, no kids. The day before yesterday I killed someone and the fact weighs heavily on my mind...'

Kinsey had been out for most of the morning and the client was waiting in the corridor.

Nikki Fife. The eight years since Kinsey had seen her had left no visible scars. But now she was looking for the help that only a detective could provide.

For whoever had killed her husband, it wasn't Nikki Fife. And if his wife wasn't the murderer, that meant someone else was...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,744,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible