A Is for Alibi

by Sue Grafton

Series: Kinsey Millhone (1)

6,2422091,313 (3.5)279
A tough-talking former cop, private investigator Kinsey Millhone has set up a modest detective agency in a quiet corner of Santa Teresa, California. A twice-divorced loner with few personal possessions and fewer personal attachments, she's got a soft spot for underdogs and lost causes. Eight years ago, Nikki Fife was convicted of killing her philandering husband. Now she's out on parole and needs Kinsey's help to find the real killer. If there's one thing that makes Kinsey feel alive, it's playing on the edge. When her investigation turns up a second corpse, more suspects, and a new reason to kill, Kinsey discovers that the edge is closer--and sharper--than she imagined.… (more)

English (162)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (166)
 A is for Alibi is the first book in Sue Grafton's
alphabet mystery series,Kinsey Millhone a 32-year-old Private Investigator living in California. I have just started this series, but I really enjoyed this book. The mystery keeps pages turning as it fascinating, suspenseful and a real fast read. The character Kinsey is very independent, you feel as you now know her, and she is portrayed as somebody you do know. Nikki Fife has just been released from prison after doing 8 years for the murdering her husband, Laurence. Nikki wants Kinsey to find the person who really killed Laurence Kinsey begins to investigate and finds out about another murder committed only days after Laurence's that is extremely similar. The victim was the accountant for Laurence's law firm, Libby Glass, and she was killed using an identical method of poisoning. This trail is 8-years-old, and Kinsey knows it won't be easy to find the truth. Kinsey begins to put together a picture of the people involved and the circumstances that led up to Laurence's murder. But somebody is not too pleased with Kinsey investigating and unveiling facts that could lead to the true murderer. Kinsey gets herself into danger, and as she struggles to put the pieces together, someone is trying to stop ( )
  Arena800 | Aug 8, 2022 |
Mystery was good, but character kind of boring - no humore ( )
  kathp | Jun 10, 2022 |
 A is for Alibi is the first book in Sue Grafton's
  kingmob2 | May 24, 2022 |
I liked this, the first in the Kinsey Millhone series, but I didn’t love it. Kinsey herself is a great character, and the mystery is decent, but I found the characters muddled together in my head a little and I had to check my understanding of things a few times. Still an entertaining read though and I’ll definitely read more Sue Grafton. ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
There are aspects of this book that I enjoyed very much, and there are also parts that I felt could have done better. It doesn't feel dated. The only thing that stood out was there was no cell phone or social media. The plot is your typical round-on-the-mill mystery thriller. A quick read for someone on the go.

So what went wrong?

The main character Kinsey Millhone did not feel like a real female to me. She is crass, which makes her seem uneducated and low-class. Attempts at presenting emotion from her were not believable; she simply came across as apathetic to the entire novel. And how she could solve any crime with the amount of alcohol she consumed in this book is beyond me.

The writing is bare-minimum stuff. It rehashed the plot from old pulp stories. I felt detached during the climactic finale, and the end of the book seemed overly abrupt. The ultimate explanation was plausible, but not particularly intriguing, and I would have been interested to read more about the repercussions of what ultimately went down.

In Summary

It alright novel filled with your typical round of the mill mystery thriller. An easy read for someone who just wants to waste some time.

Find me elsewhere: Dreamwidth | Blogger ( )
  librariefellngs | Mar 20, 2022 |

Toth, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father
Chip Grafton,
who set me on this path
My name is Kinsey Millhone.
ISBN 9055011029 is the Dutch book for A Is for Alibi, B Is for Burglar, C Is for Corpse
ISBN 1405072873 is for the Macmillan Reader, retold by John Escott
ISBN 0333925866 is for the Heinemann ELT Guided Reader

Back cover:

'My name isn Kinsey Millhone. I'm a private investigator, licensed by the State of California. I'm thrity-two years old, twice divorced, no kids. The day before yesterday I killed someone and the fact weighs heavily on my mind...'

Kinsey had been out for most of the morning and the client was waiting in the corridor.

Nikki Fife. The eight years since Kinsey had seen her had left no visible scars. But now she was looking for the help that only a detective could provide.

For whoever had killed her husband, it wasn't Nikki Fife. And if his wife wasn't the murderer, that meant someone else was...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,613,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible