COOKING FOR GEEKS : REAL SCIENCE, GREAT…

COOKING FOR GEEKS : REAL SCIENCE, GREAT HACKS, AND GOOD FOOD (edition 2010)

by JEFF POTTER

Presents recipes ranging in difficulty with the science and technology-minded cook in mind, providing the science behind cooking, the physiology of taste, and the techniques of molecular gastronomy.
Member:brett.sovereign
Title:COOKING FOR GEEKS : REAL SCIENCE, GREAT HACKS, AND GOOD FOOD
Authors:JEFF POTTER
Info:O'REILLY & ASSOCIATES 2010.
Collections:Main collection

Work Information

Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks, and Good Food by Jeff Potter

De dood in de pot? 60 lekkere recepten onder de loep by F. Boucher (mene)
    mene: "De dood in de pot" bevat recepten met commentaren over micro-organismen en voedselveiligheid, net zoals sommige stukken in "Cooking for Geeks" beschrijven.

Be your own Alton Brown. ( )
  Fiddleback_ | Dec 17, 2018 |
Real Science, Great Hacks, and Good Food
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
The 4/5 is more for it's usefulness to me rather than the overall quality of the book. I must admit I haven't tried any of the recipes but I did find this one very interesting to read and to think about. This is something the same as Elizabeth Zimmermann for knitters, a book that makes you think about the why of cooking methods instead of just being instructive and encouraging you to experiment with methods and results to get results for you, not necessarily what's written in books. It's a book to make you think about cooking and play with your food and to always remember that you can always dial out for Pizza (unless you're coeliac like me, then you're calling for GF friendly solutions). Aimed at people with possibly a bit more engineering skills than I have it's still an interesting look at food and it's production. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Feb 5, 2014 |
So, I was reading this article about cookbooks at a lady blog SHUT UP DON'T JUDGE ME and then I was like hey, I'm a geek and I eat, maybe I should read this.
1 vote | AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
I love food science stuff: two things I miss very much from having actual TV is Good Eats and America's Test Kitchen, both of which get into why things work in the kitchen.

This book does that, with the extra twist of assuming a (computer) geek audience. It's smart and charming in the process. Lots of interviews, a whole section of really weird cooking techniques, and recipes too.

I've only used one of the recipes so far: Bechamel Sauce, which turns out to be the first time EVER that I've made a cheese sauce (for veggies) that turned out the way I wanted. That said, the information about techniques, temperatures, and even food safety has changed my approach to cooking, or at least made me feel like I understand what I'm doing when I do it.

Definitely recommended. ( )
  epersonae | Mar 29, 2013 |

Jeff Potterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Double, AaronIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hackers, makers, programmers, engineers, nerds, techies -- what we'll call "geeks" for the rest of the book (deal with it) -- we're a creative lot who don't like to be told what to do.

412 pp., illus., 24 cm.

Jeff Potter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

O'Reilly Media

An edition of this book was published by O'Reilly Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,580,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible