The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel by…

The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Jojo Moyes

More than forty years after a car accident causes Jennifer Stirling to lose her memory on the day she planned to leave her husband for a mysterious lover, journalist Ellie becomes obsessed by the story and seeks the truth in the hopes of revitalizing her career.
Member:rosie527
Title:The Last Letter from Your Lover: A Novel
Authors:Jojo Moyes
Info:Pamela Dorman Books (2011), Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes (2010)

Recently added byprivate library, Leilanesoares, ajmw, EJeckel, slslibrary, Arina40, askannakarenina

English (75)  German (3)  All languages (78)
When Jennifer wakes up in a hospital bed in 1960, she has virtually no memories. She wakes to a husband she can't really remember, and who she feels no passion for once she returns home. When she finds some love letters hidden amongst her personal things, from someone signed only as "B", she struggles to recall anything that will refresh her memory and give her a clue to her past. Gradually, she is able to piece together clues to unfold the mystery of "B", but it seems she may have missed her window of opportunity. Meanwhile, later in 2003, journalist Ellie also finds a mysterious letter. Determined to discover the fates of the lost relationship of the past, she embarks on a journey of her own.

At its heart, this is a romance. I typically shy away from things labeled as romance, though when I do read something categorized as such, I inevitably find myself enjoying them. I've enjoyed JoJo Moyes' other novels, mostly because I appreciate the witty banter she is able to capture between her characters. This story, while bittersweet like her others and enjoyable enough, was lacking some of that witty banter that I so enjoy. There were flashes of it in the present-day story line, but the meat of this book was centered more around the 1960's story line, and while I liked it, it had a more serious tone. Overall, I did enjoy this book, though it seemed to drag on perhaps a bit longer than it needed to. ( )
  indygo88 | Aug 20, 2020 |
The novel opens when beautiful, rich Jennifer Stirling wakes up in a hospital room unable to remember anything. Nothing seems familiar, not even her husband. After she is released, she finds her house just as unfamiliar. As she explores the house she finds a series of carefully hidden love letters addressed to her and signed “B” which confirm her sense that her marriage was an unhappy one. But who was her lover? Circumstances intervene and forty years later, journalist Ellie Haworth uncovers a group of love letters signed “B” in the newspaper archives. The passion of the letters draw Ellie in. She can’t help but compare the intensity of the letters with the cryptic text messages she receives from John, a married man with whom she is having an affair.

I know Jojo Moyes has lots of fans. If this was the first book I had ever read by her, I might not ever have picked up another. I'm not sure if the reader is supposed to admire or identify with these two spoiled, self-absorbed women or take them as a warning. I'm not sure how Ellie could even keep a job. Jennifer is supposedly leaving her husband for her “soul mate” yet she can't even be bothered over the next forty years to see if he's really dead? It was a boring, predictable story with miserable and unlikable characters. I understand from a friend that this “may not have been her best story”. Fortunately I've read other, more interesting Moyes books so I know this one doesn't mean l'll never pick up another one....it just won't be until the nausea subsides that was brought on by this one. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
Loved it.
Just as good as the other two mushy/teary books I've read by her.

I have nothing against happy endings.

Read it again for book discussion- still enjoyed it and was compelled to read quickly! ( )
  nwieme | Mar 19, 2020 |
One of the few books that made me cry like a little girl and made me wonder about whether I've made the right choices in life... ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
Jennifer Stirling's 1960's doomed love affair resurfaces in 2003 when Ellie Haworth finds a lost love letter and traces it back to Jennifer. Ellie is herself involved in an affair with a married man. She puts her own love life in perspective as she unravels the mystery of the lost love letter. It is a story of a love that endured in spite of much adversity. I enjoyed how Moyes intertwined the romances even though they were removed from one another by four decades.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
To Charles, who started it all with a paper message
She's waking up.

It is 1960. When Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital, she can remember nothing-not the tragic car accident that put her there, not her husband, not even who she is. She feels like a stranger in her own life until she stumbles upon an impassioned letter, signed simply "B", asking her to leave her husband.

Years later, in 2003, a journalist named Ellie discovers the same enigmatic letter in a forgotten file in her newspaper's archives. She becomes obsessed by the story and hopeful that it can resurrect her faltering career. Perhaps if these lovers had a happy ending she will find one to her own complicated love life, too. Ellie's search will rewrite history and help her see the truth about her own modern romance.

A spellbinding, intoxicating love story with a knockout ending, The Last Letter from Your Lover will appeal to the readers who have made One Day and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society bestsellers.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,655,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible