Shift (Shade, Book 2) by Jeri Smith-Ready

Shift (Shade, Book 2) (edition 2011)

by Jeri Smith-Ready

Logan returns as a ghost, complicating sixteen-year-old Aura's budding relationship with Zachary, especially when they discover that Logan might be able to become solid again.
Member:StaceyMacWrites
Title:Shift (Shade, Book 2)
Authors:Jeri Smith-Ready
Info:Simon Pulse (2011), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready

really really great book! ( )
  AnaCarter | Feb 14, 2023 |
I really loved this book the only thing that angered me about it is the last one doesnt come out until next May (as of now)which is a bummer. I really love Zach & Aura Logan just annoys me sometimes (most of the time actually). ( )
  Teri_O | Nov 11, 2020 |
Loved this! Can't wait for the final book in the trilogy. A year is too long (unless Jeri is working on another WVMP book then it's OK!) ( )
  bm2ng | Apr 9, 2019 |
Point 1: okay, chapter two did not happen. It just did not. It is too unfair to all involved. Logan, Aura and Zach. It is just too freaking unfair . You hear me? Unfair. too much hope for Logan, too much confusion for Aura, too much being-cheated on for Zach.
Chapter two was just waaay too much.

Point 2: quote: “Thank you for your help. You seem like a nice girl.” Ex-Alice vanished.
“No,” I told the empty space she left behind. “I’m an asshole.”

Yes. Yes she is.

Point 3: I absolutely love her dress (or the back of it, which is what we can see) on the cover of this book. Don’t you?

Point 4: Becca is a cool character. You have to get way to the end for it be obvious, but she is.

Point 5: time for another episode of: Conversations with Zoey!

Zoey Redbird: So, Aura, I hear that in this book you upped the score to three guys. Could you tell me about that?

Aura: Well, towards the beginning, my ex-boyfriend who’s a ghost became solid for about seventeen minutes and we almost did it—

ZR: Almost? Why only almost?

Aura: we didn’t have time to go all the way.

ZR: you say he was solid for seventeen minutes? That is way more than enough time.

Aura: I know! We got enough judgment about that in our own book, thank you very much, and I don’t need from you.

ZR: okay, I can see this is a touchy subject. Let’s move on to Zach. What happened with him?

Aura: Well, we made out a lot, learned that making out switched our powers temporarily, we broke up for a bit, he went prom with this girl named Becca and did naughty things with her—

ZR: who did you go to prom with?

Aura: my ghost ex-boyfriend’s little brother.

ZR: Ooh, drama. What happened with him?

Aura: A couple hot make out sessions.

*This episode of Conversations with Zoey! has been cut short to prevent any more terrible spoilers from happening out of courtesy for those who have not read the book.*

Point 6: this book had a great cliffhanger ending. And, unfortunately, this is the book where I have to wait for he next one. *Urgh*

Now, some quotes I found amusing:

It was true. I was ready to share Logan with the world. Not just because he could do good, but also because as much as I loved him, he could no longer fill every corner of my life.
Some of the biggest spaces were already taken.

This is basically as good as saying: I’ll always love Logan, but (let’s face it) he’s dead and I love Zach.

Could a kiss really change the world?

No. No it cannot. At least, not between yu and your boyfriend. I mean, when you think about it, Paris and Helena kissed and that started a war, which was impressive… but you, Aura, and your bf? Don’t you think we’re getting a little full of ourselves?

“Teams? You mean ex-boyfriend vs. ex-almost boyfriend in the World Series of Awkward?”

I just laughed. I laughed and laughed.

I tried to make every foot step scream, I am not even remotely in love with you, so there. Ha.

I don’t think it’s possible for footsteps to convey that level of sub context, but I could be wrong.

The normally quiet Connor was the first to speak. “No, dude. Seattle’s where people go to kill themselves. I read that someplace.”
Mickey gave a single nod. “I read that, too.”

WHERE?!? Where did you read that?

There are other quotes that are more important to the story I could’ve put here, but these quotes really stood out to me, so I put these ones instead.
Now I will wait anxiously to get the third one from the library, where I have it on hold.

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
completely loved it. Jeri is a master of awesome. read it all in one day and i just want to know what happened to make Aura and Zachary the way they are. :) AMAZING. ( )
  ohkamikaze | Sep 21, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

To those who make music.
Many books—many lives—would be impossible without you.
I held my breath as it began, the last verse of the last song.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,948,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible