The Culchie's Guide to Dublin by Jim…

The Culchie's Guide to Dublin

by Jim Connolly

213,813,372 (3.5)None
Recently added byAverity, wyvernfriend
2010 (1) BB (1) Dublin (1) humor (1) Ireland (1) July (1) library (1) non-fiction (1) read (1) trivia (1)

With one error that I found (Nelsons Head USED to be in the Civic Museum but it's now housed in Pearse Street Library in the Dublin & Local Studies section). It's quite entertaining for people living in Dublin because you know that some of it is quite close to the bone. Much of it is quite funny, particularly the age-rated guide to Dublin areas, though it also shows how close dangerous is to safe and how really small Ireland and particularly Dublin is.

This includes a recipe for Coddle (sausage stew); an exploration of why Molly Malone is a joke, the nicknames for the Spire, the considered opinion of Dubliners of other Counties and an explination of The Pale among others.

There are bits that nearly slip from humour to a little more cutting and judgemental but overall I found it quite funny and ended up reading out portions to my husband. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 21, 2010 |
To me Jackeen missus (the biggest Malahide in Dalkey) and me tree chislers
Ah the Big Smoke - Spiritual home of Guinness, about a million Dubs and you, I'm guessing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,396,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible