Dogs Never Lie About Love : Reflections on…

Dogs Never Lie About Love : Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs (edition 1998)

by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson

Make it easy on yourself - read Dogs Never Lie About Love in Large Print * All Random House Large Print Editions are published in a 16-point typeface Dogs fill our hearts with love and our minds with wonder, but their emotional lives have remained unexplored since Darwin 125 years ago. Now in Dogs Never Lie About Love, controversial psychoanalyst Jeffrey Masson brilliantly navigates the rich inner landscape of "our best friends." As he guides readers through the surprising depth of canine emotional complexity, Jeffrey Masson draws from myth and literature, from scientific studies, and from the stories and observations of dog trainers and dog lovers around the world. But the stars of the book are the author's own three dogs whose delightful and mysterious behavior provides the way to exploring a wide range of subjects--from emotions like gratitude, compassion, loneliness, and disappointment to speculating what dogs dream of and how their powerful sense of smell shapes their perception of reality. As he sweeps aside old prejudices on animal behavior, Masson reaches into a rich universe of dog feeling to its essential core, their "master emotion": love. Like the dogs he loves, Masson's writing will capture the reader with its playful, mysterious, and serious sides. Its surprising insights provide a new dimension of understanding for dog owners everywhere.… (more)
Member:colleensbooks
Title:Dogs Never Lie About Love : Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs
Authors:Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson
Info:Three Rivers Press (1998), Paperback, 274 pages

Work Information

Dogs Never Lie About Love : Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson

A nice little book -- tried to give some insight into the ultimately unknowable heart and mind of our best friends. And does a good job of it. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 15, 2014 |
Same as the reader directly below, I did not have positive views on owning a dog. My family's last dog was a pain to me. I tolerated it (barely). After our first dog "passed on to the ages", my feeling was that "we'll never have another dog in this house again. However, I often found myself amused at the apparent personality and humor that I saw in dogs owned by friends and acquaintances. Then I saw this book in the library and it piqued my curiosity. It gave me a whole new insight into dogs. Guess who owns a dog now! A boxer. Guess whose idea it was. You guessed it.

Not a perfect book and I skipped a few pages at times. But pretty helpful for a recovering dogophobe. ( )
  cmaese | Mar 26, 2014 |
i really don't like dogs. they're stinky, destructive, dangerous, often disgusting so i have no idea why i got this from the library and why i enjoyed it. james lurie is a great reader. i have really enjoyed every book he's read. maybe that's why i got it. lots of interesting info ( )
  mahallett | Mar 26, 2009 |
Content good, but wordy and dry. The author does have a lot of anecdotes about dogs and their emotions. But the book dragged on and on. ( )
  LivelyLady | Mar 8, 2008 |
If you've ever owned a dog and wondered! A real feel good read. Insight into the 'mind' of a dog. ( )
  LouiseH | Jul 7, 2006 |

Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,893,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible