The Peach Keeper: A Novel (Random House…

The Peach Keeper: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle) (edition 2012)

by Sarah Addison Allen (Author)

Willa Jackson of Walls of Water, North Carolina, has lately learned that an old classmate--socialite do-gooder Paxton Osgood--of the very prominent Osgood family, has restored her family's Blue Ridge Madam home to its former glory, with plans to open a top-flight inn. But when a skeleton, found buried beneath the lone peach tree on the property is found, Willa and Paxton must confront the dangerous passions and tragic betrayals that once bound their families.… (more)
Member:lostinthebb
Title:The Peach Keeper: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle)
Authors:Sarah Addison Allen (Author)
Info:Bantam (2012), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Work Information

The Peach Keeper: A Novel by Sarah Addison Allen

English (219)  Italian (1)  All languages (220)
Sort of boring and a bit adolescent. The story could have been better if the characters had been more genuine. This felt like a Lifetime movie of the week. ( )
  Carmentalie | Jun 4, 2022 |
Wow. Just. Wow. This is a book about becoming who you are and the true meaning of friendship. And it's beautifully done. I finished it and immediately wanted to start it over again. Highly recommended. ( )
  tsmom1219 | Feb 24, 2022 |
I've thoroughly enjoyed all the Sarah Addison Allen books I've read, but I stayed away from this one for a long time because, frankly, I don't like peaches*.

As reasons go to not read a book, it's a pretty stupid one, so when I saw the title at a library sale for $1 I did the mature thing and bought it.

I LOVED this book! It was SO good. It had shades of Practical Magic in it, and a cameo by Claire Waverly from Garden Spells and a small but very important murder mystery. The only thing it needed to make it perfect was Claire's apple tree.

The Peach Keeper felt like Allen crossed from Magical Realism into straight magic; there aren't a lot of logical reasons (or any) for why the strange events in Walls of Water were happening. The character development felt a lot richer too; limiting the plot to only 4 people, and really focusing on the 2 female protagonists made it feel like a much tighter story. The romantic tension was intense (although the sex scenes were almost non-existent).

Is this Pride and Prejudice good? No, of course not (nothing is that good), but it is Practical Magic (the movie, not the book) good. If you liked that movie, or you enjoy good stories about the power of friendship, I think you'll enjoy this.

* It's a tactile thing; peach fuzz = fingernails on a chalkboard. ( )
  murderbydeath | Feb 4, 2022 |
Love all her stories, always look forward to the little whiffs of magical realism. Her books are like dessert. ( )
  VaniceD | Oct 11, 2021 |
This might be my favorite Sarah Addison Allen book yet. A tiny bit of magical mystery and a touch of love story but mostly a story about friendship and finding your place the world. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |

Sarah Addison Allenprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Michelle Pittman and Heidi Gibbs. Everything I know of friendship is thanks to you.
The day Paxton Osgood took the box of heavy-stock, foil-lined envelopes to the post office, the ones she'd had a professional calligrapher address, it began to rain so hard the air turned as white as bleached cotton.
"There's no avoiding me now, you know," she said. "You know my secrets. You maced people for me. You've got me for life." - Paxton Osgood

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Addison Allen's book The Peach Keeper was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sarah Addison Allen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,219,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible