Griftopia: A Story of Bankers, Politicians,…

Griftopia: A Story of Bankers, Politicians, and the Most Audacious Power… (edition 2011)

by Matt Taibbi

Member:chrislo
Title:Griftopia: A Story of Bankers, Politicians, and the Most Audacious Power Grab in American History
Authors:Matt Taibbi
Info:Spiegel & Grau (2011), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America by Matt Taibbi

English (23)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
In this book, Taibbi takes on America. But not the common man. He takes on the enlightened, the rich, and the corrupt. He spends a good portion of the book discussing how Goldman Sachs pretty much screwed everyone in America before, during and after the housing market crash of 2008. He also discusses the speculating that is done now on the futures of commodities. All of this was very enlightening. Taibbi does an excellent job of taking the complexities of America's economic structure and bringing it down to a level that common man can understand. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
This book is scarier than a horror movie.
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
To paraphrase Will Rogers, Taibbi explains the recent economic meltdown and bailout(s) in terms simple enough even an economist or banker can understand them. Although economists and bankers understand the new rules well enough; it's the rest of us who need to be brought up to speed as to how elite banks legally stole billions of dollars, and are continuing to get away with it. ( )
  BruceCoulson | Apr 2, 2014 |
Just astonishing. How absolutely screwed we are.

Taibbi might annoy you - he can be a bit dude-ish in his writing at times, merry with his hilarious teenager-esque spins on traditional curses ("douchewad" being my favorite) and quick to be hyperbolic when its suitable. But you cannot, simply cannot dismiss this book on those grounds. He did his research (boy howdy) and manages to parse the absolute horse manure that is our current financial stage to the point that a layman can almost maybe understand it if he thinks about it.
Yes, folks: this book requires you to think. Hard. Because you're not just trying to understand the complex legal and financial terminology being tossed around... but you're also trying to square your own finances. Square your own behavior. And that sort of ruthless efficiency at making everything okay is a problem for us humans - because that's how we got into this mess. We'll believe whatever someone who seems smart tells us - but if we used our brains even once, we'd've seen that we've been fleeced but good over the last 30 years... and that there might just be nothing left when they're done.

Much, much more at RB:

But most importantly? I implore you to read this book. It isn't about politics, it's not about left and right. It's about humanity trying to save itself from the vampire squids that are sucking every last drop of money from our pockets. ( )
  drewsof | Jul 9, 2013 |
The shelves are full of books describing how Wall Street turned mortgage markets into a casino. Goldman’s dealings with A.I.G. have been probed in the pages of this newspaper, among others. What Taibbi brings is a broader context and his trademark snarky prose. He has written a polemic, a full-scale indictment of Wall Street and Washington, one that sometimes veers toward ranting, yet serves as a needed antidote to the more even-tempered but fatuous accounts already available.

For my wife, Jeanne

The financial crisis that exploded in 2008 isn’t past but prologue. The stunning rise, fall, and rescue of Wall Street in the bubble-and-bailout era was the coming-out party for the network of looters who sit at the nexus of American political and economic power. The grifter class—made up of the largest players in the financial industry and the politicians who do their bidding—has been growing in power for a generation, transferring wealth upward through increasingly complex financial mechanisms and political maneuvers. The crisis was only one terrifying manifestation of how they’ve hijacked America’s political and economic life.

Rolling Stone’s Matt Taibbi here unravels the whole fiendish story, digging beyond the headlines to get into the deeper roots and wider implications of the rise of the grifters. He traces the movement’s origins to the cult of Ayn Rand and her most influential—and possibly weirdest—acolyte, Alan Greenspan, and offers fresh reporting on the backroom deals that decided the winners and losers in the government bailouts. He uncovers the hidden commodities bubble that transferred billions of dollars to Wall Street while creating food shortages around the world, and he shows how finance dominates politics, from the story of investment bankers auctioning off America’s infrastructure to an inside account of the high-stakes battle for health-care reform—a battle the true reformers lost. Finally, he tells the story of Goldman Sachs, the “vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity.”

Taibbi has combined deep sources, trailblazing reportage, and provocative analysis to create the most lucid, emotionally galvanizing, and scathingly funny account yet written of the ongoing political and financial crisis in America. This is essential reading for anyone who wants to understand the labyrinthine inner workings of politics and finance in this country, and the profound consequences for us all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:29 -0400)

Examines American financial, political, and media power and argues that the dramatic series of events that led to the financial crisis also resulted in a complete shift of power to the self-interested elite.

145 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,886,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible