The Divvies Bakery Cookbook: No Nuts. No…

The Divvies Bakery Cookbook: No Nuts. No Eggs. No Dairy. Just Delicious! (edition 2010)

by Lori Sandler

1711,068,972 (4)None
A volume of favorite vegan recipes from New York's famous allergen-free "fun foods" bakery includes options for special occasions and a bonus selection of gluten-free recipes, in a collection that includes such fare as Divvies Famous Chocolate Cupcakes, Pick-Your-Berry Muffins and "Ice Cream" Hash.
Member:AllergyMom
Title:The Divvies Bakery Cookbook: No Nuts. No Eggs. No Dairy. Just Delicious!
Authors:Lori Sandler
Info:St. Martin's Press (2010), Hardcover, 176 pages

Work Information

The Divvies Bakery Cookbook: No Nuts. No Eggs. No Dairy. Just Delicious! by Lori Sandler

There's no better motivation for creating allergy-free desserts than raising a wee one with serious health issues, as I found out myself several months after receiving this cookbook. Though it's written with children in mind, Divvies showcases a sweet collection for all ages, treats that inspire worry-free sharing — possibly the true definition of dessert.

From more traditional classics like Robin's Apple Pie to unique bake sale treats like her Popcorn Snowmen, Sandler's included an extensive list of allergy-free fare. Some of the Divvies Bakery's signature recipes, Benjamin's Chocolate Chip Cookies for example, are what you'll find for sale on shelves at Whole Foods. Especially enticing recipes include a Strawberry-Rhubarb Oatmeal Cookie, a nice update on the classic oatmeal-raisin, and Oh Fudge!, a dairy-free chocolate concoction with a pleasantly smooth mouthfeel.

Overall, the book's clean design and organization make it highly usable. I only wish there were photos of each dessert.

Admittedly, it is odd reviewing a cookbook devoted to allergies with you eat all of the missing ingredients. So I waited, asking the help of friends with dietary restrictions. And then, when my son was six weeks old, we thought he might have a milk protein allergy. Since I'm already vegetarian, that made me into a vegan for at least three weeks — plenty of time to miss my sugar rush! Of course, I whipped out this cookbook and brought vegan cookies to a friend's swap last week. It's true: no one noticed the difference!

Whether you use it occasionally or depend on it regularly, Divvies drool-worthy desserts will please the pickiest palate, leaving everyone at the table satisfied. Don't just take my word for it. ( )
  cemming | Dec 22, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,505,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible