Tales From The Crypt, Volume 2 (EC Archives)…

Tales From The Crypt, Volume 2 (EC Archives)

by Al Feldstein, Russ Cochran (Editor)

From stories by the legendary team Bill Gaines & Al Feldstein come theclassic horror tales written by Feldstein and illustrated by the all-starline-up of Wally Wood, Jack Kamen, Johnny Craig, Feldstein himself, Joe Orlando,Graham Ingels, Jack Davis, and Marie Severin. Reprints 24 stories from Talesfrom the Crypt with a foreword by Joe Dante, director of Gremlins. Reprintsissues #7-12 (24 stories) of the comic book Tales From the Crypt,originally published in 1951 and 1952, and the inspiration for the hit movieand HBO series!… (more)

An issue of 'Tales From the Crypt' was one of the few comic books lying around my house growing up. It was sick, it was gruesome, and I read it all the time. I was never sure where it came from and my parents refused to get us any more, but it stayed with me. I remember my siblings and I loved to watch the cartoon on Saturday mornings and later watched the TV show and movie.

These are just as fun to read now as when I was a kid. Even with the overuse of exclamation marks - literally there's one at the end of every sentence even on the most mundane of statements! These stories have vengeful corpes, premonitions of death, voodoo dolls, curses - you name it! The vibrant colors on these reissues makes them really pop. I can see why my parents raised their eyebrows at this stuff in the early 90s, so yeah, this was controversial in the 1950s and led to some pretty heavy restrictions on the industry.

EC Comics Archive

Previous: 'Vol. 1'

Next: 'Vol. 3' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 28, 2019 |
Tales from the Crypt reproduces six of the famous Crypt comic books of the 1950s created by William Gaines, the publisher of Mad magazine. At the time they were published they were considered shocking and entirely too grizzly and violent for children. It was widely believed that reading such comics lead directly to juvenile delinquency and mental degeneracy, and all horror comics were ultimately banned. (To learn about that genuinely terrifying tale of censorship and public panic, read the excellent The Ten Cent Plague by David Hajdu.)

Today Tales from the Crypt is plenty entertaining, but it’s hard to understand what all the fuss was about...until you consider that most comic books in the 1950s focused on cute anthropomorphized animals tales and “funny” stories. Reading these comics books when they originally appeared must have been like watching Freddie Kruger make an appearance in a Doris Day film. Worth reading both for the thrilling illustrations and narratives that now seem camp, but kept kids around the country up at night in their day. ( )
  ElizabethChapman | Dec 12, 2009 |

Al Feldsteinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cochran, RussEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,313,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible