Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, Book 4)…

Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, Book 4) (edition 2011)

by Jennifer Estep

Member:vaspitfire
Title:Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, Book 4)
Authors:Jennifer Estep
Info:Pocket Books (2011), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:urban fantasy, series, audiobook, magic

Tangled Threads by Jennifer Estep

“More of the same” is probably the expression that sums up this book the best. The fire elemental and mobster’s main henchman have been replaced with a henchvoman in the form of the electrical elemental LaFleur. Otherwise the story have distinct similarities to the one in the previous book.

That means all the good things are present again, particularly the badass assassin Gin Bianco and here likable friends. The not so good things are of course also here, especially the irritating habit of the author to repeat known facts over and over again.

Again the book advances the story towards the final confrontation with Mab as well as Gin’s quest to reunite with her sister. Gin also learns yet a bit more about how powerful an elemental she really is (much to the detriment of Mab’s plans). Unfortunately she still goes around wallowing in her perception that this is a bad thing and that she should not really use her powers.

I do not think I am surprising anyone when I write that LaFleur did not exactly get the upper hand although I have to say that the final fight between Gin and LaFleur was a bit of a disappointing slugfest. I kind of missed some surprise factor for LaFleur when it was revealed that Gin was both stone and fire elemental and a bloody powerful one at that.

All in all this is another good book in the same style as all the other ones in the series.
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
I am really enjoying the audio books of this series! ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Tangled Threads
4 Stars

The Elemental Assassin series is thoroughly entertaining, the characters are extremely well-written and the individual stories are captivating. Tangled Threads would be a perfect addition if not for the unnecessary recapping of events from previous books (mention of one or two key moments would have been sufficient but the detail is excessive) and the constant repetition of certain descriptions.

In the current installment, Gin must face Mab’s new enforcer, a fellow assassin known as Le Fleur. The buildup to the ultimate meeting between the two is exciting and suspenseful and the actual showdown is satisfying although drawn out in places.

Gin's intelligence, resourcefulness and resilience together with her emotional vulnerability make her a particularly engaging heroine. There are developments in her relationships with Owen Grayson (that man is such a keeper!) and her sister, Bria (looks like these two are in for a bumpy ride). Gin is also coming to terms with her elemental powers, especially her ice magic and it is great to see her putting them to good use.

Things are definitely coming to a head between Gin and Mab, and the final confrontation between the two will apparently be in the next book, Spider’s Revenge.

Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I think this was a really good book in the series. ( )
  linzy199 | Jul 12, 2017 |
Gin is going to have to constantly look over her shoulder. Mab is getting pretty pissed about losing her men to the Spider. The assassin that Mab hires is insane. She takes joy in using her magic to destroy others. She isn’t in it for the money. She’s in for it the glory. She’s also a force to be reckoned with.

Gin definitely has her work cut out for her with Elektra. Not only does she need to keep herself alive, but she also has to keep Bria from falling victim to the assassin. There are definitely a lot of fight scenes where you are rooting Gin on, and others where you’re hoping she gets out of there as soon as possible.

Like her previous book the repetitiveness went on a little long. She’s constantly recounting things that had happened before, and I think without that it would have been a much better book. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |

Jennifer Estepprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamatsch, VanessaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

But here I am. Gin Blanco, the semi-retired assassin known as the Spider. Hovering outside sexy businessman Owen Grayson's front door like a nervous teenage girl. One thing I like about Owen: he doesn't shy away from my past--or my present. And right now I have bull's-eye on my forehead. Cold-blooded fire elemental Mab Monroe has hired one of the smartest assassins in the business to trap me. Elektra LaFleur is skilled and efficient, with deadly electrical elemental magic as potent as my own Ice and Stone powers. Which means there's a fifty-fifty chance one of us won't survive this battle. I intend to kill Lafleur--or die trying--because Mab wants the assassin to take out my baby sister, Detective Bria Coolidge, too. The only problem is, Bria has no idea I'm her long-lost sibling ... or that I'm the murderer she's been chasing through Ashland for weeks. And what Bria doesn't know just might get us both dead.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,548,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible