The Sentry (Joe Pike) (2011)

by Robert Crais

Series: Joe Pike (3), Elvis Cole (14)

Dru Rayne and her uncle fled to L.A. after Hurricane Katrina. Now, five years later, they face a different danger. When Joe Pike witnesses Dru's uncle beaten by a protection gang, he offers his help, but neither of them want it and neither do the federal agents mysteriously watching them. As the level of violence escalates, and Pike himself becomes a target, he and Elvis Cole learn that Dru and her uncle are not who they seem and that everything he thought he knew about them has been a lie.… (more)

Joe Pike walks into a sandwich shop to see the owner being beaten up by two punk gangstas. He steps in, beats one up, and then falls for the owner's niece. After retaliation, Joe meets with the gang's boss and thinks the matter is resolved until the owner and niece disappear. When the two punks are found dead, all assumptions are off and Joe enlists the help of Elvis Cole to help find them before they are killed. As it turns out, they are running from a Bolivian mafia enforcer and some other enterprising folks. Things get very messy. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
If you like a book with a high body count written on a 2nd grade reading level then this is the book for you. ( )
  Jeff_Simms | Jun 9, 2021 |
First time I’ve read anything by this author- saw a recommendation somewhere for this book.
Story was ok, suspense/action/crime with little mystery type read.
It does keep you interested and not wanting to put it down tho.
First off, this is not my normal type read- that said I can say I liked it enough with exception that author made the villain hearing voices which to my liking wasn’t necessary and I feel was irrelevant and distracted from story.
Because this is not normally my type read doubt I’d buy another book by this author but for those who are into this type I’d say go for it. ( )
  KarenHerndon | Sep 25, 2018 |
I haven't read a Robert Crais novel in a few years. This one had all the things I liked about the previous ones. Good read. ( )
  etrainer | Sep 10, 2018 |
This is not one of Crais’ better (or even average) books. The story focuses on Joe Pike and his efforts to locate Dru, a woman he befriended and feels honor bound to protect. Dru and her “uncle” disappeared shortly after the uncle was beaten by street thugs apparently intent on setting up a protection scheme. However, the reality is much more complex and sinister. Pike and his partner Elvis Cole soon find themselves dealing with a Bolivian drug cartel, a Los Angeles street gang, a Mexican drug cartel, the FBI and Los Angeles police.

It turns out that Pike is a much more interesting character as the mysterious partner of Cole rather than the lead character. I found it difficult to get into the story and it wasn’t until the second half of the book and Cole began to figure more prominently that my interest picked up. I had great hopes for a book featuring Pike as the lead character and am disappointed. ( )
  Tatoosh | May 16, 2018 |
FOR

Clay Fourrier

From River Road to
the top of the Hollywood Sign,
my wingman chasing
the dreams

With love, admiration,
and more than a few feverish beads.
Monday, 4:28 A.M., the narrow French Quarter room was smoky with cheap candles that smelled of honey.

Dru Rayne and her uncle fled to L.A. after Hurricane Katrina; but now, five years later, they face a different danger. When Joe Pike witnesses Dru's uncle beaten by a protection gang, he offers his help, but neither of them want it - and neither do the federal agents mysteriously watching them.

As the level of violence escalates, and Pike himself becomes a target, he and Elvis Cole learn that Dru and her uncle are not who they seem - and that everything he thought he knew about them has been a lie. A vengeful and murderous force from their past is now catching up to them ... and only Pike and Cole stand in the way.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Robert Crais's book The Sentry was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,052,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible