Elizabeth I: A Novel by Margaret George

Elizabeth I: A Novel (edition 2011)

by Margaret George

Member:tututhefirst
Title:Elizabeth I: A Novel
Authors:Margaret George
Info:Viking Adult (2011), Hardcover, 688 pages
Collections:Your library, Audio books, To read, Wishlist - NOOK
Tags:MP3, historical fiction, HM12, mystery

Elizabeth I by Margaret George

English (41)  Spanish (1)  All languages (42)
Meh. It was okay, I guess, but Margaret George is no Sharon Penman. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
I haven't read historical fiction in a minute and I will admit that I was first daunted by the size of this book. However I was quickly captivated and this book and it was all I could think about. I had to know more! I vaguely remember learning about Queen Elizabeth I in history class, but what did I really know about her? So much was a mystery about her. This 600+ page novel, doesn't start during her childhood or even her early reign. It starts when the Queen is in her fifties and follows her through the end of her rule. It was FASCINATING! The plot is told through the Queen's perspective and through her cousin, Lettice. Together they know an impressive cast of character, Shakespeare, Francis Bacon, Grace O'Malley and more. I learned soo much and was kept utterly charmed. I couldn't believe how wonderfully this was written and how much research the author put in to flesh out the queen's life. I can't wait to read more by this author. ( )
  ecataldi | Sep 19, 2017 |
Meh. It was okay, I guess, but Margaret George is no Sharon Penman. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Finished Elizabeth I and gave it four stars. It felt a bit slow to get going at first, but that might be beacuse of the bitty way it was read at first rather than the book. Should possibly have read during a holiday so that it could be read more intensively, and then I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more. Really enjoyed the last 200 pages which was read this way. Would have liked more in the book about the history than court life - but certainly learnt more about some aspects of Elizabeth's reign. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
4.5 Stars

Elizabeth I, the latest release from historical novelist Margaret George, is an example of historical fiction at its finest. Weighty and packed with historical detail, Elizabeth I is a novel to savour.

While many novels featuring Elizabeth I focus on the early and middle years of her life and reign, with particular emphasis on Elizabeth's love life, Margaret George chose a different track. Her focus instead is on the later years of Elizabeth's reign, starting in 1588, at the time of the Spanish Armada. I found this choice refreshing, as the novel's focus is on the people and events that defined the later years of Elizabeth's reign, events such as the Spanish Armada, the Essex Rebellion and the defeats and victories in Ireland, rather than concentrating on Elizabeth's love life.

The novel alternates between the voices of Elizabeth herself, and her cousin Lettice Knollys, who was banished from court for marrying Robert Dudley. The chapters featuring Lettice serve to provide the reader with a different perspective on the actions and motivations of the monarch. In addition to the two principal characters, Elizabeth and Lettice, the novel is filled with characters right from the pages of history, including the Earl of Essex, William and Robert Cecil, Francis Drake, Sir Walter Raleigh, and William Shakespeare.

Although many authors of historical fiction have attempted to bring England's Virgin Queen to life, few have managed to clearly convey why Elizabeth is considered to be England's greatest monarch. George, however, has accomplished this and more. Not only has she successfully conveyed the keen intellect and political astuteness of Elizabeth, but she has also captured the Queen's compassion and love for her subjects.

My qualm, albeit a small one, is that the alternating narrations between Elizabeth and Lettice is, at times, unnecessarily repetitive. While this didn't detract from my enjoyment of the novel, its frequency made it noticeable.

I highly recommend this novel to all fans of historical fiction. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
For Robert,
My son-in-law,
A loyal subject of
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth
Past and Present
Felice Peretti, otherwise known as Pope Sixtus V, stood swaying before the stack of rolled Bulls.
They were neatly arranged like a cord of wood, alternating short and long sides, their lead seals hanging down like a row of puppy tails.
"Ah," he said, eyeing them with great satisfaction. They seemed to radiate power. But one thing was lacking: his blessing.

Elizabeth's rival for the love of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, and mother to the Earl of Essex, the mercurial nobleman who challenged Elizabeth's throne, Lettice Knollys had been intertwined with Elizabeth since childhood. They are both women of fierce intellect and desire: one trying to protect her country, and throne, the other trying to regain power and position for her family and each vying to convince the reader of her own private vision of the truth.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Margaret George's book Elizabeth I was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,553,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible