Late, Late at Night by Rick Springfield

Late, Late at Night (edition 2010)

by Rick Springfield

In a searingly candid memoir, Grammy Award-winning pop icon Springfield pulls back the curtain on his image as a bright, shiny, happy performer to share the startling story of his rise and fall and rise again in music, film, and television, and his lifelong battle with depression.
Member:sorsopkel
Title:Late, Late at Night
Authors:Rick Springfield
Info:Touchstone (2010), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2011

Late, Late at Night by Rick Springfield

What I love about this book is the candid honesty. Rick discusses his battle with depression, infidelity, death of his father, love of his life, his family, and the ups and downs in his life. I appreciate the fact that he is really in your face and no hold bar when he talks about what has happened in his life. I think this removes the star quality and makes him appears as normal as anyone else. This is a good insight to Rick and his music. I have to say that I truly respect him for being honesty. He already beats himself up for his mistakes in life as it is evident throughout his book; therefore I tried to read the book without judgment. I was able to relate personally to the death of his father and the loss of a baby as I have been there myself. This is a good read for any RS fan that wants the raw reality, not the sugar coated version of his life. ( )
  MzKitty | Sep 18, 2016 |
Fascinating biography of a pop star. One more story of how being a media star both is and is not what one might want it to be. Good to read if you were infatuated with him when you were a teenager. He's completely candid about his bouts with depression and sex addiction. And he reates dogs as being some of the best personalities on the planet. ( )
  dreplogle | Feb 18, 2016 |
I'm not quite sure what I expected from this book, but it was far from what I expected. I guess I remember more the "squeaky clean" image (and I'm sure if my mom had known what his life was really like, she'd have discouraged me from listening to his music).

I have to give him credit for his honesty in talking about the demons of depression and sexual addiction which have plagued him over the years. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
I loved this book. It is funny, poignant and honest. I saw Rick in concert and he is much the same in his book. He takes an honest look at himself and life. I didn't know he was such a huge dog lover, but I felt after reading this that I had really gotten a look into the person behind the fame. I highly recommend it. ( )
  Laurie.Schultz | Mar 15, 2014 |
I liked Rick Springfield when I was a kid but haven't tried to keep up with him for many years. So I picked this book up mostly out of curiosity. I'll admit that there are parts of the book I was pretty bored with, mostly his sexual escapades. However, there is a great deal of this book that is compelling and made me continue to read.

This book pretty much generates all of the emotions: happy, sad, confused, uncomfortable, silly and depressed. Rick's life has been a roller coaster of very high highs and very low lows. His highs mostly come from his love of music and interacting with his fans. His lows come from his "darkness" of depression. How he works through things to a somewhat even keel is fascinating.

An interesting read and a peek into the life of someone who seems to have it all, but does he? Really: ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,504,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible