Black Diamond by Martin Walker

Black Diamond (2010)

by Martin Walker

Series: Bruno Courrèges (3)

In the wake of attacks on local Asian vendors and an increase in black-market ingredients that threaten the Dordogne's lucrative truffle trade, Chief of Police Bruno finds the case taking a personal turn when one of his hunting partners, a former high-profile intelligence agent, is murdered.

English (23)  German (1)  All languages (24)
Chief of police Bruno Courreges investigates the possible adulteration of the truffles of France's Perigord region with a cheaper Chinese version. Then, a Vietnamese family's stall at the Saint-Denis market is wrecked, and Bruno wonders if this is the beginning of an Asian gang war. Things become more complex when Bruno's hunting partner and former top-level military man is found brutally murdered.

This takes place in a small town in France where Bruno is well-known by everyone and very likeable. There’s lots of discussion of food that sounded fabulous. There was also a somewhat complicated plot about the gang war between the Chinese and Vietnamese that I sometimes found confusing. Overall, an interesting combination of the ways of the French, food, immigration and Chinese and Vietnamese relations. ( )
  gaylebutz | Sep 11, 2019 |
I started this book many month ago. It languished on my kindle as I read a page or two ever so often. It didn't seem so interesting.

Somewhere, possibly 1/3 of the way through, it became much more interesting. The tangled web of crime, past French involvement in Algiers and Vietnam, illegal immigrants made for an interesting intermingled series of crimes that I didn't fully figure out until the author revealed the answers. Even more interesting to me was the details of country french life. I think Martin Walker went to great lengths to get the descriptions of life in a small french town correct.

The reading of the last 2/3 went quickly and I enjoyed the read. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
For me this third entry in the Bruno series was probably the best yet and a step up from the second book. It is not required but reading the prior books lets you know about most of the people who appear here and altho the author drops enough into this to support the character (as well as refresh the memory for continuing readers) I certainly enjoy this more knowing what has come before. The french history in here, the good and mostly bad of things are woven into the story and I very much appreciate it. The author is quite good at this and we learn about food and wine and truffles, especially truffles, in rural France and culture clashes, wars, spies, the greens, and more. There are now 11 novels and a couple novellas in this series and I am happy to have more to look forward to. Oh, this is indeed a crime and murder mystery story and series, but all the cultural trappings make this much much more.

The big topic of this particular story is truffles (the best are black diamonds), but the story gets very twisty by the end when everything is wrapped up. ( )
  RBeffa | Aug 8, 2018 |
2-1/2 stars. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
I tend to enjoy police procedurals located outside the US [i.e. Donna Leon's Brunetti, Louise Penny's Gamache, Elizabeth George's Lynley] and while I am not sure this rises to their level, I do enjoy these books, the mysteries, the description of small town life in southern France and of the people. A good series to embark upon. ( )
  VictoriaJZ | Jan 27, 2018 |

Martin Walkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abrams, MarkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Commandant Raymond Bounichou, old barbouze, great cook, good friend, one of the few to be given the honour of lighting the sacred flame at the Arc de Triomphe.
There weren't many times that Bruno Courreges disliked his job, but today was one of them.

France's Perigord region is the home of the exquisite black truffle, and at 5,000 euros a kilo, it's a treasured local asset. When reports come in that this unique delicacy is being adulterated with a cheaper Chinese version, chief of police Bruno Courrèges is asked to investigate the scam. In St. Denis market, a Vietnamese family runs a popular stall selling their country's dishes, until one morning their stall is overturned and wrecked by attackers who look Chinese. Bruno wonders if these are the opening shots of a Viet-Chinese triad war. When a horrific murder is added to the mix, Bruno has his work cut out to find the connection between present crimes and long-buried ones that are linked to France's colonial past. In this gripping new investigation, Bruno needs all his local knowledge, acumen, courage and charm to work his way towards the truth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,916,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible