Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later…

Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later

by Francine Pascal

After she betrays her identical twin, Jessica Wakefield longs for forgiveness, but Elizabeth moves from Sweet Valley, California, to New York City and searches for the perfect revenge.

Beautiful blonde twins Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield are now 27 years old. Something has happened so that Elizabeth is furious with Jessica, and she will not speak to her sister. Elizabeth is now living in New York and working as a writer for a small newspaper, whereas Jess is still in Sweet Valley.

I know the book has had a lot of negative reviews, but I’m still rating it “ok”. It’s been 30+ years since I read about these characters (and even then, I only read some of the original series, Sweet Valley High – I was a bit older and had lost interest by the time the Sweet Valley Twins came out when they were younger and I’m not even sure when Sweet Valley University came out!), and I enjoyed reading about them again and seeing what had happened (even if there was a lot of crap that had happened). I still remembered the majority of the characters.

The story jumps between Elizabeth and Jessica and back and forth in time. This book, I thought was not far off from a lot of chick lit – very soap opera-like. I didn’t like some of the outcomes of the characters I read so much of when I was younger, but I didn’t think the story was really so terrible (again, in comparison to other chick lit). Though some of the characters really didn’t seem to have grown up much, I still found it somewhat entertaining, and it was a fast read. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 3, 2019 |
I had to read it, the Sweet Valley series was a huge part of my childhood. It was only appropriate that I complete the series with Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later. Before I even picked up the book I knew it was going to be cheesy, but thought after all the 100s of books I read as a pre-teen, I owe it to myself to complete the series. And ... to put it simply ...it was horrifyingly funny, awful and trashy. There were several times I laughed out loud and said "What!?" to its ridiculousness. I didn't expect much and that's exactly what I got. ( )
  mandarella | May 21, 2018 |
I had a review written, but my internet connection died. Probably best that way.

To sum up: Francine Pascal should leave the writing to her ghost writers. Sometimes, the wave of nostalgia shouldn't be written. ( )
  dariazeoli | Mar 21, 2018 |
Time for a little confession. I randomly picked up one of the books in the SVU series in high school and devoured a large chunk of the series in a short amount of time. Part of me was actually pretty excited to pick this up and see what the Wakefield twins have been up to. I guess I’ve grown up or something because this felt like a bad soap opera to me and I was embarrassed to be reading it!

I also had a huge problem with all the random pop culture references in the book. Way to date your book Ms. Pascal! Stupid, stupid, stupid.

She also seems to be using the book as a political platform. Gee, do you think she thinks gay marriage should be legalized? I think this sort of thing is fine when it is an actual book of substance. This is pure fluff.

The only redeemable quality I found were the flashbacks seen throughout the novel. I really enjoy that type of thing and even though some of the transitions were forced and kind of awkward, it was fun.

Bottom Line:
This book is probably best left on the shelf. Unless, of course, you love over-the-top dramas. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Way back in middle school, the Sweet Valley Twins and all the subsequent series involving Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield were my brain candy. Simple, easy, fluff reads when you just need to escape. What better escape can there be than sunny California, accompanied by two amazingly popular and gorgeous twin sisters?

So when I found out that Francine Pascal was writing a new book, a book about the now grown up sisters, I had to read it. It wasn't quite the day of release, but only a few days later. I needed an easy read, something to take my mind off the hustle of the past week. It was exactly what I expected it to be. A light, easy fluffy read; definitely chick lit material. It's not what I remembered though. Of course, my taste in reading material when I was eleven is a far cry from the sort of book I would pick up now. At least most of the time.

It's hard to say much about the story without some major spoilers, so I will leave it with just a basic intro. Elizabeth has been a resident of New York for eight months, leaving Sweet Valley on the heals of a tragic betrayal by her best friend, and sister, Jessica.

It was fun to read; fun to relive some of my fond childhood memories. But it wasn't great. There were internal dialogue scenes that I more often than not didn't care for. I also don't remember so much of their speech being punctuated by so and like. It felt like Pascal was trying too hard to incorporate that ubiquitous Valley Girl speech that is so often lampooned. At 27, it felt very out of character for the girls now grown into women, especially the serious Elizabeth. I did enjoy it, but no one will ever mistake it for high literature, and it's doubtful it will ever make it onto someone's list of favorite novels. If what you're looking for is a fun read or a walk down memory lane, then this book is exactly that, but nothing more. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
How excited was I when I first learned of this book coming out? OVERJOYED!! The original Sweet Valley series (Sweet Valley Twins) was the very first series that I ever read. I truly believe that this series started my love of reading... the desire to get more information, read further. These two were my friends while I was moving all over the place through my tweens.

After reading a number of reviews from like-minded individuals; others who were excited to read the 'where are they now' novel, I was so worried about it. Let's just say, they weren't overly kind. However, I was pleasantly surprised and actually found myself enjoying the book.

Now, it wasn't perfect. Seeing Elizabeth, the perfect, do-no-wrong sister, in a completely different setting/light - in the fight of her life with her sister, Jessica; having moved across the country; and dealing with a break-up with her long-time boyfriend, Todd - I felt a little violated. Elizabeth doesn't swear; Elizabeth doesn't hate; Elizabeth doesn't drink, sleep around or even think of it. That's just not the 'down-home' girl that I grew up admiring. It was so strange. Jessica, yes; Elizabeth, NO WAY! But, that's who she was now and as I got into the heart of the matter, it made sense.

The back and forth between current and past (high school/college) was great. Having not read all of the Sweet Valley High books, it was nice to have the reminder of what was going on 'back in the day'. In fact, my favourite part of the book was the recap at the end... finding out where all the characters, that I knew and loved, were and how they were fairing in the current world.

One change that I would make, the pictures on the inside front & back of the book. Really, these two use Twitter and Facebook... nope, can't see it. Some updated pics would have gone a loooooong way for me. But, then again, these are the girls as we remember them.

Overall, the book was worth the read. Would I recommend it to anyone... no, but if you were a Sweet Valley fan, you'll want to read it.

For my darling daughter, Jaime Stewart
Elizabeth had turned the key in the Fox lock, releasing a heavy metal bar that scraped across the inside of the front door with an impressive prison-gate sound, and was about to attack the Segal lock when the phone in the apartment started to ring.
Then he kissed her. Bruce Patman kissed her! That had never happened before. Not while she was conscious anyway, but that's a long story.
Besides, the possibility of Elizabeth Wakefield cheating on anything or anyone was near impossible. That was her reputation and, truth is, it was deserved.
It continued with no sign of letup until Alice Wakefield threw down her napkin and louder than anyone, in a voice few had ever heard, stunned them all into silence.

Ned, she shouted. Bring out the fucking cake!

Ten years after graduating Sweet Valley High, Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield are back as adults. Elizabeth has run away to live in New York, vowing to never speak to her twin again. Jessica is plagued by guilt. What could have torn the twins apart this time?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,855,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible