Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Veronica Roth (Author)

Series: Divergent (1)

Member:kala__reads
Title:Divergent
Authors:Veronica Roth (Author)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2011), 487 pages

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Waterbound by Jane Stemp (MyopicBookworm)
    Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)

English (1,335)  German (6)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,352)
I absolutely loved the first book in this series but the quality definitely went down with each subsequent book not to mention THAT ENDING!!!! I do find the world and characters created by Veronica Roth to be fresh, engaging, and well written. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
I can say that this was the first book in English that I read so fast. The concept of the book is so interesting and different from all the other dystopian books. It makes us think of who we are: our qualities, our faults... I identified a little with Beatrice (Tris) except for the tattoos because I'm terrified of needles. Throughout the book all the characters grow and the end made me want to read the second book immediately. I give it 4 out of five stars because the city details and description could have been more explored. Bottom line: really good book. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
This was a reread for me. The first time I read this was before the movie came out and I enjoyed it then, and I enjoyed it again now. It is interesting how you picture things in your head one way until you watch the movie and then after that you can only picture things the way they are in the movie. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
This story - divergent, originally only five years ago to see the movie, and did not go to turn over the original book. This is through the summer vacation opportunity to read the novel and is the original novel. Although at first it is indeed read very slow and a little hard. Has been turning over the dictionary, but to the middle and back of the book, the overall reading has become more fluid.
All along, have liked the dystopian story. Both sci-fi drama, but also a unique charm can attract me. Perhaps because it presents a different social atmosphere and social system, with now society contrast is very big. But not too strange to believe. So often let me think the future of mankind is not ultimately will come to this point.
The book presents a post-war human society. In order to maintain order and peace, people are born into five factions. Name :ERUDITE, AMITY, CANDOR, ABNEGATION, DAUNTLESS. Their respective residence and lives. Each contribute their own contribution to society. Close but distant social system. It seems a lot like the concept of a Sorting Hat in Harry Potter. But the difference is in Harry Potter, houses is only a classification of the school period and does not depend on the overall life. But in this story:” the faction is better than blood”. Everyone at the age of 17 must be tested and according to the results of the test to make a factional choice. The rest of life will be limited to this faction and the faction must be responsible for the work.
Everything in the story takes place in the heroine Tris in the test. But unexpectedly found that she belong not only to either faction, but to the "Divergent", their nature does not belong to either faction. But belongs to more than two factions. Tris is the only one in the story can accept the test of the five factions. Their nature in the ruler's point of view is mutiny, because they cannot be controlled. They can go beyond the ordinary people's thinking and do anything.
Compared with dystopian novels such as The Hunger Games. The story of the Divergent does not focus on comparing most of the destruction of this social system. But rather more intended to make the audience think about Tris' egos. The social system in the novel is like a label, through tests to define and distinguish people from each other. But do not realize that the Divergent cannot be defined. Perhaps this novel is to tell us, we are afraid of themselves to become different、afraid of themselves are out of line. At the beginning of the book. Tris once said: "The test will tell me who I am, and where I belong ...”. Short statements. But how helpless, how ironic reality. When we jump out of the routine and become that different. Whether there is the courage to continue to be myself. Everyone wants to be unique, but society does not allow us to be brave to be ourselves.
The novel raises an important question: Do you want to hide yourself and make yourself a normal person, or do you choose to bravely pursue yourself as Divergent? Not only for the social system of the story to express satire, but also to the modern social atmosphere expressed doubts. ( )
  10204_HsuKuan | Aug 30, 2021 |
I've had this on my list of books to read for some time, but the release of the movie pushed it to the top of the pile. I'd heard enough about it to have a basic understanding of what to expect - and also enough to guess that I'd be likely to enjoy it (I do have a soft spot for female-driven dystopian stories).

And even though hype before I read something has a tendency for me to be skeptical and more critical, I didn't really find much I didn't like about this book. I think the only real issue I had was the way the plot suddenly shifts near the end of the book, but that was more necessitated by the the story itself, and isn't something I'd actually give as a complaint about the book.

The characters are well-developed - especially Tris, since we're getting everything from her perspective - but Four, Christina, Will, Eric, Peter, and all of the secondary characters have a personality with dimensions and we even get to see come character development beyond just the protagonist - always a plus. And I enjoyed the few minor references to it being set in a futuristic Chicago - I lived there for a year, so those few landmarks mentioned are all too familiar to me.

So definitely recommend this if you like dystopia and young adult. ( )
  crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To my mother, who presented me with the moment when Beatrice perceives her mother's strength and wonders how she had not perceived it before.
To my mother, who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how strong her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long.
There is a single mirror in my house.

AR level 4.8, 16 pts
In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all. (from the publisher)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,111,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible