Divergent (Divergent Series, 1) by Veronica…

Divergent (Divergent Series, 1) (original 2011; edition 2014)

by Veronica Roth (Author)

Series: Divergent (1)

20,0181365162 (4)747
Member:JeremiahValeska
Title:Divergent (Divergent Series, 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth (Author)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2014), Edition: 1, 576 pages

Work Information

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Waterbound by Jane Stemp (MyopicBookworm)
    Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)

English (1,345)  German (6)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,362)
Otra adaptación, que aunque falta aún mucho para su estreno, ya causa ansia en sus seguidores y muchos spoilers para los que aún no lo habíamos leído. more ( )
  Ella_Zegarra | Jan 18, 2022 |
It's a very interesting concept that society's ills were caused by the five groups of people: the dishonest, the selfish, the cowardly, those that stir up trouble and the stupid. These are well known no-no's in Scripture. However setting up a society based on strict factions of the opposite of these problems also seems to have its problems, including creating a caste of the factionless who have no status.

The book had a good mix of characters to root for and despise. It ran at a good pace and was over before I knew it. I look forward to reading the sequel. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
I reverted back to novels to try and get back the motivation I had for reading books. It has been some time since I actually finished a book.

Let me start by saying that this book is pretty underwhelming for a young adult novel with so much praise. And I'm a guy who really enjoyed Harry Potter. It has been compared with "The Hunger Games" (which I haven't read, but watched) because it uses the exact same formula (maybe even the setting?).

It has an interesting setting and I was hooked when I read the first few pages but then it all goes downhill from there.

The only things I truly enjoyed about the book are the parallels I've drawn between people's different traits/strengths and the dystopian Chicago world created by Vernoica Roth.

The book, however, has a number of flaws:

1) There is absolutely no background or explanation for most of the things presented here. You're left with a gazillion questions that will probably never be answered. You can't understand the actions of the characters clearly. And you don't learn a lot about them even !

2) Lots of gaps and holes. This follows from the first flaw. Throughout Divergent, you'll find yourself jumping from event to event with no logical links between the two. It all feels somehow disconnected. Who would've thought that the main war in the story would be started by having our hero 'wake up to it'?

3) The romantic story is a complete train-wreck. First of all, how did it even start ? We suddenly find ourselves amidst 'hot cheeks' and corny moments. I really question the novel's acclaim when the author has no better words to describe romantic encounters other than 'hot cheeks and bit lips' every now and then.

4) The ending ! Seriously, in such an interesting world, you have me going "That was it?!". Completely underwhelming. I know it's the first part of a trilogy, but after finishing this one, I doubt I will read the others.

5) There are no shocking twists. Just some minor ones. Really disappointed me as I kept pushing through it hoping for something big to happen.

6) I expected the novel to be a serious page-turner. I didn't find that here, but maybe that's just me. This ain't no "Angels & Demons" where the end of every chapter pushes you toward the next.

I could go on and on, but I rest my case ..

2 stars ( )
  nonames | Jan 14, 2022 |
I can not even BEGIN to tell you how much I loved this book. I am going to read it again - which is a sure sign that a book is a keeper for me. Tris is brilliant and I adore that so many girls are fighters in this book, yet no one ever pontificates about whether or not this is "right". Also...Four? Totally hot in every way. Just saying ( )
  KimZoot | Jan 2, 2022 |
I don't read much YA fiction, but my 12 year old son is much more likely to read if someone is reading the same book with him so he has someone to discuss it with. So I told him I'd read this series with him.

I thought it was pretty fun and can see why it's so popular. It's "the future" and humans are divided into 5 factions based on their personalities: Dauntless (the fighters), Erudite (the thinkers), Abnegation (the selfless helpers), Amity (the friendly), and Candor (the brutally honest). But, of course, Beatrice, our main character, is Divergent, meaning she equally expresses more than one of these categories. And those is charge view this as dangerous and a threat.

There's lots of adventure and suspense and decent character building. Also a love interest (my son thought there was "too much kissing"). But is certainly some uneven world-building and a few plot decisions I didn't really buy. Overall, though, it's a compelling read and I am willing to continue on with the series.

My favorite part is that it's set in Chicago and current-day landmarks still exist (like the Sears Tower, Hancock Building, Navy Pier, the bean, the el, Laker Michigan which is now a marsh, etc.). So that made it really fun for me, being from the Chicago area. ( )
  japaul22 | Dec 30, 2021 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To my mother, who presented me with the moment when Beatrice perceives her mother's strength and wonders how she had not perceived it before.
To my mother, who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how strong her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long.
There is a single mirror in my house.

AR level 4.8, 16 pts
In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all. (from the publisher)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,323,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible