Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1) by…

Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1) (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Veronica Roth (Author)

Series: Divergent (1)

Member:TeaganMorris
Title:Divergent (Divergent Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Veronica Roth (Author)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2011), Edition: 1, 501 pages

Work Information

Divergent by Veronica Roth (2011)

Recently added byNicolaRooney, Rennie90, CadelStewart, private library, maddisonbergne, jade377, coder_ritz28
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (foggidawn, readr, Tsana, frankiejones, al.vick)
    readr: Both stories feature a young woman fighting to survive in a brutal situation.
    Tsana: Similar dystopian teenager must fight the system YA book.
    Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (bookwyrmm, reconditereader, LAKobow)
    reconditereader: Young adults seize control in a dystopian society
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (varsha1010)
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (kaledrina)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (hairball)
    hairball: Young women rebelling against their prescribed role.
    Unwind by Neal Shusterman (anytsuj)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: A rigidly enforced class structure, with everyone happy in their class, makes for a utopian dream . . . Doesn't it?
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young (avalon_today)
    Wither by Lauren DeStefano (kaledrina)
    Across the Universe by Beth Revis (KaiaRose)
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The final book in the Divergent trilogy.
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (catlover99)
    catlover99: The sequel to Divergent and the second book in the trilogy
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Jen7waters)
    Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Morteana)
    The Moon Dwellers by David Estes (murphyrules)
    murphyrules: If you love dystopian young adult series with a strong female heroine, then these are your books!
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (jennrenae)
    The Killables by Gemma Malley (generalkala)
    Waterbound by Jane Stemp (MyopicBookworm)
    Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol (wordcauldron)
    burners by Bob Mayer (LongDogMom)

English (1,342)  German (6)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (1,359)
I finally read this. I'm okay with it. I thought the character development was better than some, and I enjoyed the Chicago setting. But I just couldn't buy the concept. ( )
  JessicaReadsThings | Dec 2, 2021 |
Can I just summarize for you?

Main Character: Here is a bunch of exposition about the different factions and how we must all fit into them. But I just don't fit in, much like every main character in every modern YA dystopia book. And I'm not pretty, except I totally am. I live in the communist faction where we are selfless and wear grey, but it turns out I'm secretly an adrenaline junkie so I switch to the faction where we beat the crap out of each other and love to shoot firearms.

Love interest: I have a secret, which the reader will figure out within 2 chapters but will take ages for the main character to get to. Also I'm super hot.

Everyone else: Beats the crap out of each other for fun and rankings, faces fears, jumps off stuff, etc.

Evil faction leader: I'm smart, middle aged, and cruel, and the author makes sure to point this out by describing how fat I am around the stomach area and how I have stretch marks on my knees. I'm tired of the communists running everything.

*chaos death evil plans fighting open ended for sequel*

readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
The writing is not very good and overall it seemed like a romance novel for teens. Harry Potter is a much better fantasy series, though I'm told if I read the next book I'll be more satisfied. ( )
  ClaireMulhern | Nov 17, 2021 |
Read in one sitting. Just the kind of easy read I was looking for. Am going to read the following books in the series, even though they are clearly aimed at a teen audience (I would have loved this as a 13-14-year-old). ( )
  lacurieuse | Nov 11, 2021 |
Book is set in a dystopian state of Chicago in the future. Beatrice, known as Tris, is 16 and the protagonist and narrator of the story. Chicago is broken off into districts and Tris has to take a test to determine whether she says in the district her parents are in or choose the one her test says to go to, but something happens. Tris turns out that she can go to multiple districts, and she is known as a divergent and is told to keep it under raps. She chooses a district that she wanted and antics ensue. She falls for a person named Four and fights with a person named Peter. This book is not only the first one in a series, but it tackles changes in a world, whether it be the place your in, the person you're around, and the situations you are in. ( )
  ORB002 | Nov 5, 2021 |

Roth, Veronicaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galvin, EmmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Koob-Pawis, PetraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tippie, JoelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Czech Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
To my mother, who presented me with the moment when Beatrice perceives her mother's strength and wonders how she had not perceived it before.
To my mother, who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how strong her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long.
There is a single mirror in my house.

AR level 4.8, 16 pts
In a future Chicago, sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all. (from the publisher)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,524,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible