Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Sausages (2011)

by Tom Holt

Series: J.W. Wells (7)

2201494,720 (3.69)3
Polly, an average, completely ordinary property lawyer, is convinced she's losing her mind. Someone keeps drinking her coffee. And talking to her clients. And doing her job. And when she goes to the dry cleaner's to pick up her dress for a party, it's not there. Not the dress - the dry cleaner's. And then there are the chickens who think they are people. Something strange is definitely going on -and it's going to take more than a magical ring to sort it out.… (more)

Look when you get [a:Christopher Moore|16218|Christopher Moore|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1200095788p2/16218.jpg] to write your cover blurb, I'm in.

[a:Tom Holt|9766|Tom Holt|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1246502762p2/9766.jpg] is the English equivalent of Mr. Moore. The big difference is that Mr. Moore puts setup/punchline sets in his chapters, while Mr. Holt is much more subtle and restrained. [a:Douglas Adams|4|Douglas Adams|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1189120061p2/4.jpg] is an apt and accurate comparison. Where they are alike is that they both are not shy about setting up outrageous situations but then living within the constraints set up. They also are both very very funny and well worth reading. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
Didn’t like Don or Polly much which made the first third of this a bit difficult. Enjoyed the chickens and there were some good laugh-out-loud turns of phrase plus the plot was the kind of weird I like, but overall it was just okay for me. ( )
  Aug3Zimm | Nov 12, 2019 |
If you're familiar with Tom Holt, all I have to say is, Have fun! If not, I should say a bit more than that. For those who are new to Holt's work, be prepared for a wild ride.

Something odd is happening in the offices of Blue Remembered Hills Development, and Polly Mayer doesn't like it. Someone is drinking her coffee. She's getting phone calls complaining about her failure to follow up on conversations she knows didn't happen. She's finding notes in her work diary that she didn't write, and work done in her files that she didn't do. Polly is not amused--and that's before she discovers that the dry cleaners where she dropped off her dress has disappeared. Not gone out of business--vanished as if it had never been there.

Something odd is happening at BRHD. Mr. Huos has lost his brass ring. And ever since the loss of the ring, clients and customers are starting to complain. Something about the land they bought being missing. Mr. Huos is also missing his past: He has no memory before he woke up on a mountainside in eastern Europe ten years ago, with the brass ring, steel earrings, and $100,000 in US currency. Oh, and the ability to understand any spoke language instantly. And to make deals that are not far off from turning sows' ears into silk purses.

Something odd is happening outside BRHD. Don Mayer, Polly's brother, found a brass pencil sharpener in the pocket of a suit he picked up from the dry cleaners' shortly before Polly discovered that that shop not only didn't exist anymore, it never had. Suddenly he can Make Things Happen, including the return of his sister's dress, and the disappearance of his annoying neighbor--whom he only wanted to go away, not cease existing.

Meanwhile, there are the hens who used to be lawyers, and Mr. and Mrs. Williams, the dry cleaners whose shop has been moving to new locations every couple of days for the last ten years.

And all of that is before things start getting weird.

If you're a Tom Holt fan, definitely pick up this one. If you've never heard of Tom Holt before, be adventurous and pick it up anyway! It's weird and wonderful and a lot of fun.

I received a free electronic galley of this book via NetGalley. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
I picked this up at a library thinking I ought to try something new in the British comic fantasy vein. The author I really had in mind to try was Robert Rankin, but I couldn't remember author names at the time, just a tendency for punning titles.

On the credit side, (keeping George RR Martin furniture rules in mind) the story moved forward steadily with enough going on to keep me reading to the end, and some of the humour tickled me. Thankfully it didn't descend into any gratuitous grotesqueries.

I guess I like altiverses that just exist by themselves on their own terms, whereas here story and furniture rules cosied up together a bit too much for my personal preferences.

Three stars though for having enough narrative zip and sense of fun to keep me reading. ( )
  ten_floors_up | Apr 19, 2014 |
There were some amusing parts, but it just didn't ever coalesce into anything.
Even so, I wasn't totally against it until the always-enjoyable Career Women Are Scary Bitches cliche showed up. Sigh. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

For Kim,
But for whom, the inspiration for this book would've been sausages
The old saddleback sow lifted her head and gazed across the yard at the livestock trailer.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,266,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible