How Children Learn (Classics in Child…

How Children Learn (Classics in Child Development) (original 1967; edition 1995)

by John Holt

In this enduring classic, rich with deep, original insight into the nature of early learning, John Holt was the first to make clear that, for small children, "learning is as natural as breathing." In his delightful book he observes how children actually learn to talk, to read, to count, and to reason, and how, as adults, we can best encourage these natural abilities in our children.… (more)
Member:bigal123
Title:How Children Learn (Classics in Child Development)
Authors:John Holt
Info:Perseus Publishing (1995), Edition: Revised, Paperback

Work Information

How Children Learn by John Holt (1967)

12/6/22
  laplantelibrary | Dec 6, 2022 |
Riveting from the first page to the last, the style is engaging and illuminating. The anecdotes also corroborate my experience and just "feel" right. Sadly, it doesn’t seem as if the establishment has paid any attention to his observations: I know of no government school systems that devote any attention at all to the students other than telling them what & how we want them to absorb and ignoring their innate capacities for learning. ( )
  majackson | May 22, 2020 |
mostly read revisions, reading Holt makes me feel guilty and angry about my own children's education
  ritaer | Mar 15, 2020 |
An eye-opening book on how children learn in their environments and how they learn better and faster outside of schools. A must read for any homeschool family. ( )
1 vote MichelleConnell | Sep 26, 2018 |
Currently reading. Similar format to How Children Fail, Mr. Holt through memos to Mr. Hull describes how children learn. His strongest advice is to TRUST CHILDREN. ( )
1 vote tharleman | Feb 12, 2008 |
It was one of the most profoundly moving books I've ever read, the truest account of how I remember my best learning experiences as a child and an adult.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Sep 23, 2008)

Belongs to Publisher Series

Notable Lists

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,881,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible