The Emerald Atlas (2011)

by John Stephens

Series: Books of Beginning (1)

Kate, Michael, and Emma have passed from one orphanage to another in the ten years since their parents disappeared to protect them, but now they learn that they have special powers, a prophesied quest to find a magical book, and a fearsome enemy.

English (91)  French (1)  All languages (92)
Did not finish. Had an early Lemony Snicket/ HP flavor that wasn't what I wanted at the moment. Perhaps it was also my expectations. When it's advertised as a "New Narnia" one expects less Baudelaire/Potter and more Pevensie. But, then again, when you say "Narnia" to me I think "meaning" not fantasy. And apparently it wasn't just me. May pick up again when I'm in the mood for something a bit more like this.
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Kate, Michael and Emma P. are deserted by their parents in order to keep them safe, but they are passed around orphanages until they are sent to a small town on Lake Champlain, where they are the only kids in a deserted town and orphanage. Each with their own distinct personality and separated often throughout the book, I think it was predictable at times and awfully wordy at others, but not too scary for early fantasy readers. Liked the time travel and the Russian sorceress best. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
I felt it was a book that borrowed generously from every source imaginable and brought in nothing new. At one point, I swore I was reading Narnia: a more vicious, less pious one, but still, it was Narnia.

And ultimately, Time Traveling. There are very few ways to do this well. Mostly, its a gimmick authors use when they get their characters into impossible situations where they _will_ fail. Then, time travel. Just kidding. Everything's all right. Nearly as bad a betrayal as "it was all a dream". ( )
  illmunkeys | Apr 22, 2021 |
I found this book while wandering through Barnes and Noble and was enchanted by the cover (because green is my favorite color). Then, I saw where the audiobook was narrated by Jim Dale and knew I had to listen to the audiobook. I love Jim Dale and have listened to every book narrated by him.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. It's the story of Kate, Emma and Michael. Three orphaned children who are constantly being moved from orphanage to orphanage. Ten years after being abandoned, they end up being the only children at an orphange in Cambridge Falls. While exploring the orphanage, they come across a green book which they later learn is called The Emerald Atlas. The Atlas allows the children to travel back in time where they end up where their adventures begin.

I loved this story. It was fun and engaging, full of magic and reminescent of so many great fantasy series (such as Narnia, Harry Potter and The Golden Compass). Jim Dale, as always, was brillant. I loved his work so much that I didn't even mind that the obviously three American orphans spoke with a British accent.

This book left me wanting for more and I highly recommend it (although you might want to wait until closer for the second book to be released).
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
Three kids live in a series of unsavory orphanages after their parents leave them until they are sent to a strange, empty orphanage in Cambridge Falls. Upon exploring the house, they find an old blank book that transports them backwards in time and they find out about a much-desired treasure being sought by a beautiful, but evil, witch. They launch upon an adventure that jumps back and forth in time.

For such a long book, I didn't feel much emotion of any of the kids. The settings are described in detail but the plot is difficult to follow with the changes in time. In this first book, we also don't learn much about Dr. Pym, the "Dumbledore" of this story. He doesn't appear to show any affection for the kids and is only interested in their usefulness to finding and protecting the lost books. The magical beings in the book form more of a connection with the children than their human guardian. They type of middle-school reader who enjoys a detailed story of adventure might be attracted to this series. Definitely not a choice for reluctant readers. ( )
  bookappeal | Feb 3, 2019 |

John Stephensprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dale, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For my parents
The girl was shaken awake. Her mother was leaning over her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,468,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible