The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel by Lauren…

The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Lauren Weisberger

Authors:Lauren Weisberger
Info:Broadway (2004), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:1/2
Tags:Fiction

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (2003)

The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (citygirl)
    citygirl: Skewers those at the top of the heap in NYC. Both quite funny.
    Beyond the Blonde by Kathleen Flynn-Hui (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Beyond the Blonde and The Devil Wears Prada are chick lit novels about small-town women who, through their jobs, are thrust into the drama and demands of New York celebrity society.
    The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes (Anonymous user)
    The Agency by Ally O'Brien (citygirl)
    The Misadventures of Oliver Booth: Life in the Lap of Luxury by David Desmond (infiniteletters)
    Schooled by Anisha Lakhani (jbarry)
    Streetsmart by Nicholas Coleridge (jayne_charles)

English (191)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (207)
Andrea (at the beginning of the book) and I have one thing in common... I don't have even the slightest bit of interest in fashion.

I suppose the book itself isn't too terrible (at least not if you enjoy fashion and can tell the difference between Chanel and Gucci - I certainly can't), but it is very repetitive, and could probably lose about 150 pages of redundant repeats without losing much in the way of story.

Ultimately, this is one of those rare occasions where the movie is actually better than the book. Meryl Streep is glorious as Miranda Priestley, and Anne Hathaway is one of those uber talented, lovely and just all-round perfect individuals whose mere existence makes so much as getting out of bed a pointless exercise for us mere mortals (for male equivalent, see Hugh Jackman). Put them together, alongside the brilliant Stanley Tucci, and you have a great movie, no matter what the subject matter may be.

The movie is a great watch for pretty much anyone. The book is probably only really worth it for fashion nuts... ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Feb 23, 2019 |
Waste of time. Complain, complain, complain, complain, fuck you, warm and fuzzy ending. Seriously? I suppose the appeal is the idea that one gets a behind the scenes look at Vogue. Meh. ( )
  CatherineBurkeHines | Nov 28, 2018 |
I found The Devil Wears Prada to be a cliche at times. The story was not bad and moved along at a nice pace. I did love the characters, that was the best part of the whole book.

The book is a good beach read. Not too demanding on the mind. Just easy and straight forward to read in one sitting. ( )
  purpledog | Jun 8, 2018 |
I enjoyed reading this book, very different from the movie (what I can remember of it anyway). I felt for Andrea and what she was going through for the chance at her dream job but I could also sympathize with her family, friends, and boyfriend. "I'd begun to take for granted that he'd always be around... The only problem with all of this was that I wasn't exactly holding up my end of the deal." I liked that she was self aware and realized that she was neglecting her side of keeping her relationships alive. ( )
  ThatCatLady | Jun 4, 2018 |
I've wanted to read this book in forever, but kept putting other things ahead of it for one reason or another. It was alright, differed quite a bit from the movie--there was more personal backstory for Andy which led to some rather dull subplot. The novel was a bit annoying with all the brand name-dropping, as obvious as Wayne's World, but not as funny. Another thing that really bugged me, and I wish the editor had caught, was that Weisberger writes the newsstand guy as a Kuwaiti named Ahmed. No Kuwaiti I know in NYC would be sitting behind a newsstand. He or she would own Runway's parent company. If you are going to pick a random Arab nationality to own a newsstand, a GCC national is not the way to go. It's called fact-checking. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |

Lauren Weisbergerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvitie, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -- Henry David Thoreau, Walden 1854
My Mother, Cheryl, the mom "a million girls would die for" ; My father, Steve, who is handsome, witty, brilliant, and talented, and who insisted on writing his own dedication; my phenomenal sister, Dana, their favorite (until i wrote a book).
The light hadn't even officially turned green at the intersection of 17th and Broadway before before an army of overconfident yellow cabs roared past the tiny deathtrap i was attempting to navigate around the city streets.
Miranda was, as far as I could tell, a truly fantastic editor. Not a single word of copy made it into the magazine without her explicit, hard-to-obtain approval, and she wasn't afraid to scrap something and start over, regardless of how inconvenient or unhappy it made everyone else.
ISBN 0007156103 is for The Devil Wears Prada

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307275558, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a killer title: The Devil Wears Prada. And it's killer material: author Lauren Weisberger did a stint as assistant to Anna Wintour, the all-powerful editor of Vogue magazine. Now she's written a book, and this is its theme: narrator Andrea Sachs goes to work for Miranda Priestly, the all-powerful editor of Runway magazine. Turns out Miranda is quite the bossyboots. That's pretty much the extent of the novel, but it's plenty. Miranda's behavior is so insanely over-the-top that it's a gas to see what she'll do next, and to try to guess which incidents were culled from the real-life antics of the woman who's been called Anna "Nuclear" Wintour. For instance, when Miranda goes to Paris for the collections, Andrea receives a call back at the New York office (where, incidentally, she's not allowed to leave her desk to eat or go to the bathroom, lest her boss should call). Miranda bellows over the line: "I am standing in the pouring rain on the rue de Rivoli and my driver has vanished. Vanished! Find him immediately!"

This kind of thing is delicious fun to read about, though not as well written as its obvious antecedent, The Nanny Diaries. And therein lies the essential problem of the book. Andrea's goal in life is to work for The New Yorker--she's only sticking it out with Miranda for a job recommendation. But author Weisberger is such an inept, ungrammatical writer, you're positively rooting for her fictional alter ego not to get anywhere near The New Yorker. Still, Weisberger has certainly one-upped Me Times Three author Alex Witchel, whose magazine-world novel never gave us the inside dope that was the book's whole raison d' etre. For the most part, The Devil Wears Prada focuses on the outrageous Miranda Priestly, and she's an irresistible spectacle. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

A small-town girl fresh out of an Ivy League college lands a job at a prestigious fashion magazine, but wonders if the glamorous perks are worth working for the editor from hell.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,537,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible