The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel by Lauren…

The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Lauren Weisberger

9,154204327 (3.33)150
Member:pearlygurlee1980
Title:The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel
Authors:Lauren Weisberger
Info:Broadway (2004), Paperback, 368 pages

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (2003)

English (187)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (202)
I can relate to a young person who would do anything to keep a job that has a carrot at the end of it - a fabulous reference so she can get a better job, but jeez, catering to a witch who uses bad temper and threats to keep people in line. I know a few people like this so can't say I enjoyed reading about what should not be. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
Sophomoric writing. Characters you couldn't care less about, most especially the main character, for whom we are supposed to feel soooo empathetic. Should I ever meet Ms. Weisberger, I shall expect compensation for my time, money, and that little piece of my soul which, in an effort to save itself, fled in panic and shame as I read this drivel. ( )
  lizen | Mar 1, 2016 |
This is a light, somewhat entertaining book. No one treats each other with much respect. But it's an okay beach read. Don't remember exactly when I read it but this is a good guess. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 19, 2016 |
Good book. Movie sucked. ( )
  Marion_B | Jan 19, 2016 |
I hated this book. Hated it. Andy was horrible, inconsistent and fully of contradictions. Awful. And I love the movie, I thought it would have at least been enjoyable to see the background. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
I really like the book. It is not a quality book but you just want to finish the book as quick as you can. Almost every girl likes fashion. So many girls would kill for Andrea Sachs's job. She must be so lucky to get to work for the most powerful woman in fashion publishing and wear all those beautiful clothes. And you feel sympathizes for the main character of the book. Their is also a lot of humor in the book.
added by NaomiKallendorf | editJust me

Lauren Weisbergerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvitie, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -- Henry David Thoreau, Walden 1854
My Mother, Cheryl, the mom "a million girls would die for" ; My father, Steve, who is handsome, witty, brilliant, and talented, and who insisted on writing his own dedication; my phenomenal sister, Dana, their favorite (until i wrote a book).
The light hadn't even officially turned green at the intersection of 17th and Broadway before before an army of overconfident yellow cabs roared past the tiny deathtrap i was attempting to navigate around the city streets.
Miranda was, as far as I could tell, a truly fantastic editor. Not a single word of copy made it into the magazine without her explicit, hard-to-obtain approval, and she wasn't afraid to scrap something and start over, regardless of how inconvenient or unhappy it made everyone else.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307275558, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a killer title: The Devil Wears Prada. And it's killer material: author Lauren Weisberger did a stint as assistant to Anna Wintour, the all-powerful editor of Vogue magazine. Now she's written a book, and this is its theme: narrator Andrea Sachs goes to work for Miranda Priestly, the all-powerful editor of Runway magazine. Turns out Miranda is quite the bossyboots. That's pretty much the extent of the novel, but it's plenty. Miranda's behavior is so insanely over-the-top that it's a gas to see what she'll do next, and to try to guess which incidents were culled from the real-life antics of the woman who's been called Anna "Nuclear" Wintour. For instance, when Miranda goes to Paris for the collections, Andrea receives a call back at the New York office (where, incidentally, she's not allowed to leave her desk to eat or go to the bathroom, lest her boss should call). Miranda bellows over the line: "I am standing in the pouring rain on the rue de Rivoli and my driver has vanished. Vanished! Find him immediately!"

This kind of thing is delicious fun to read about, though not as well written as its obvious antecedent, The Nanny Diaries. And therein lies the essential problem of the book. Andrea's goal in life is to work for The New Yorker--she's only sticking it out with Miranda for a job recommendation. But author Weisberger is such an inept, ungrammatical writer, you're positively rooting for her fictional alter ego not to get anywhere near The New Yorker. Still, Weisberger has certainly one-upped Me Times Three author Alex Witchel, whose magazine-world novel never gave us the inside dope that was the book's whole raison d' etre. For the most part, The Devil Wears Prada focuses on the outrageous Miranda Priestly, and she's an irresistible spectacle. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

A delightfully dishy novel about the all-time most impossible boss in the history of impossible bosses.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible