The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel by Lauren…

The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Lauren Weisberger

Series: Prada (1)

9,409207312 (3.34)160
Member:pearlygurlee1980
Title:The Devil Wears Prada: A Novel
Authors:Lauren Weisberger
Info:Broadway (2004), Paperback, 368 pages

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (2003)

The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (citygirl)
    citygirl: Skewers those at the top of the heap in NYC. Both quite funny.
    Beyond the Blonde by Kathleen Flynn-Hui (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Beyond the Blonde and The Devil Wears Prada are chick lit novels about small-town women who, through their jobs, are thrust into the drama and demands of New York celebrity society.
    The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes (Anonymous user)
    The Agency by Ally O'Brien (citygirl)
    The Misadventures of Oliver Booth: Life in the Lap of Luxury by David Desmond (infiniteletters)
    Schooled by Anisha Lakhani (jbarry)
    Streetsmart by Nicholas Coleridge (jayne_charles)

English (191)  French (5)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (206)
Nothing original to add that hasn't already been said about the book and the movie, though movie characters were much more interesting than those in the book. Andrea Sachs hates her job and has an absolutely horrible boss. She's supposed to be bright, with an Ivey League education and had traveled the world. It's frequently been said that she was a small town girl, but she was from Providence, not that small. I tried to remember how witless I was when first out of college, but this character takes the cake. She's not to leave the office except when sent on many errands, but she is constantly sneaking off to smoke, call her friends and try to eat in this weight conscious atmosphere. She makes it apparent to all that the position is beneath her. After nearly a year of knowing that she can't get away for lunch she never clued in that you can pack your lunch. Despite being given specific instructions about what to do and not do, when to speak and not speak, she can never seem to get it right. The likelihood that an office assistant would be allowed unlimited and unaccountable access to large sums of money is a bit far fetched, even in a lucrative business. Since this was written pre-crash and before the magazine industry hit the doldrums I suspect this type of carelessness would never be allowed today. She is perpetually late and seems incapable of planning or anticipation. Her family and boyfriend are not supportive of her career. The guilt they lay on her for not rushing home when on an overseas assignment because an alcoholic friend was in a car accident was ridiculous. She should have ditched the guy and taken up with the handsome writer. Despite contrived, unrealistic situations and my many criticisms, this was still a fun read. ( )
  varielle | Apr 8, 2017 |
I wasn't super impressed with this book. It was just okay. I didn't particularly like the main character, Andy, very much. Part of her problem with her job was she didn't want to do the work being asked of her because she didn't find it important. It was just "fashion". Her boss picked up on that and became more demanding of her. That's part of human nature. Also, I was completely unimpressed with Andy's temper tantrum at the end. Having said all of that, I did like how the novel ended. It showed both Lily and Andy were trying to grow up. ( )
  jguidry | Oct 24, 2016 |
NYC 1st job — nightmare — others would die for — asst to a Big Mag - Fashion

Andrea Sachs, a small-town girl fresh out of college, lands the job “a million girls would die for.” Hired as the assistant to Miranda Priestly, the high-profile, fabulously successful editor of "Runway "magazine, Andrea finds herself in an office that shouts "Prada! Armani! Versace!" at every turn, a world populated by impossibly thin, heart-wrenchingly stylish women and beautiful men clad in fine-ribbed turtlenecks and tight leather pants that show off their lifelong dedication to the gym. With breathtaking ease, Miranda can turn each and every one of these hip sophisticates into a scared, whimpering child.
  christinejoseph | Sep 16, 2016 |
Better than the movie of course!
Listened on audio Rachael Leigh Cook - good ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 4, 2016 |
A really fun read, quick and easy, and with enough anecdotes of life in this world to make me glad I no longer have a boss just like Miranda Priestly! Yes, yes they do exist in the world in all domains: non-profit, hi-tech, and consulting. Just in case you were wondering. Lauren is an amazing young woman to have stuck with her position as long as she did for the reason that it would be ultimately good for her career - I don't think I would have been able to manage such a life for that long without quitting long before.

I also enjoyed reading it to see how the book differed from the movie. I like both on their own merits and I certainly understand why the movie makers made the editorial changes they made. And I loved the way in which the two overlapped their world views, such as the book describing how a size 0-2 is the norm and how a size 6 is fat, while Stanley Tucci's character is the one who declares this to young Anne Hathaway.

Definitely a must-read! ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
I really like the book. It is not a quality book but you just want to finish the book as quick as you can. Almost every girl likes fashion. So many girls would kill for Andrea Sachs's job. She must be so lucky to get to work for the most powerful woman in fashion publishing and wear all those beautiful clothes. And you feel sympathizes for the main character of the book. Their is also a lot of humor in the book.
added by NaomiKallendorf | editJust me

Lauren Weisbergerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mutsaers, SabineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Talvitie, TiinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes. -- Henry David Thoreau, Walden 1854
My Mother, Cheryl, the mom "a million girls would die for" ; My father, Steve, who is handsome, witty, brilliant, and talented, and who insisted on writing his own dedication; my phenomenal sister, Dana, their favorite (until i wrote a book).
The light hadn't even officially turned green at the intersection of 17th and Broadway before before an army of overconfident yellow cabs roared past the tiny deathtrap i was attempting to navigate around the city streets.
Miranda was, as far as I could tell, a truly fantastic editor. Not a single word of copy made it into the magazine without her explicit, hard-to-obtain approval, and she wasn't afraid to scrap something and start over, regardless of how inconvenient or unhappy it made everyone else.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307275558, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a killer title: The Devil Wears Prada. And it's killer material: author Lauren Weisberger did a stint as assistant to Anna Wintour, the all-powerful editor of Vogue magazine. Now she's written a book, and this is its theme: narrator Andrea Sachs goes to work for Miranda Priestly, the all-powerful editor of Runway magazine. Turns out Miranda is quite the bossyboots. That's pretty much the extent of the novel, but it's plenty. Miranda's behavior is so insanely over-the-top that it's a gas to see what she'll do next, and to try to guess which incidents were culled from the real-life antics of the woman who's been called Anna "Nuclear" Wintour. For instance, when Miranda goes to Paris for the collections, Andrea receives a call back at the New York office (where, incidentally, she's not allowed to leave her desk to eat or go to the bathroom, lest her boss should call). Miranda bellows over the line: "I am standing in the pouring rain on the rue de Rivoli and my driver has vanished. Vanished! Find him immediately!"

This kind of thing is delicious fun to read about, though not as well written as its obvious antecedent, The Nanny Diaries. And therein lies the essential problem of the book. Andrea's goal in life is to work for The New Yorker--she's only sticking it out with Miranda for a job recommendation. But author Weisberger is such an inept, ungrammatical writer, you're positively rooting for her fictional alter ego not to get anywhere near The New Yorker. Still, Weisberger has certainly one-upped Me Times Three author Alex Witchel, whose magazine-world novel never gave us the inside dope that was the book's whole raison d' etre. For the most part, The Devil Wears Prada focuses on the outrageous Miranda Priestly, and she's an irresistible spectacle. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

A delightfully dishy novel about the all-time most impossible boss in the history of impossible bosses.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,759,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible