dismiss

A People's History of the United States by…

A People's History of the United States (1980)

by Howard Zinn

Presents the history of the United States from the point of view of those who were exploited in the name of American progress.

English (118)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (123)
I've never read this before! Technically I've still never read it but I did listen to the whole thing on audiobook and it completely changed my opinion on Matt Damon. ( )
  uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
This was good. "The Coming Revolt of the Guards" near the end of the book was weirdly prescient of the Occupy movement, to the point where Zinn uses all the 99%/1% rhetoric of OWS years before OWS was a thing. My favorite chapters were on early 20th century labor movements, which were really exhilarating and informative and a joy to read all at once. ( )
  jshttnbm | May 14, 2020 |
A very interesting look into a side of this country's history that isn't often talked about in school, etc. ( )
  localstatic | May 4, 2020 |
Absolutely essential reading for anyone who hasn't yet read it. It is a genuinely radicalizing text, serving to undermine myths and put radicals today within a solid historical context, and showing that struggle has a rich history in the US.

This book was one half of my radicalizing process. As a new anarchist, starved for perspectives that mirrored my own and ignorant of the depth of anarchist and radical thought, I was groping around in the dark. I can remember, first bitten by the anarchist bug, "googling" "anarchist" every day. I read Crimethinc books because someone told me that anarchists read those books. Entirely ignorant, I was left thinking that my generation was the first to stumble upon anarchism, and that we'd have to create the entire world anew, with nothing in history but misery to look back on.

This book changed that in me. I could draw on hundreds of years of struggle against empire, capitalism, and the state. That the soil was rich with the blood of people who struggled for the same thing that I wanted to struggle for. I found out by asking that my family has its own radical history, both of my parents were in SDS, my father went on a Freedom Ride, my grandfather was involved in the 1199 Hospital Workers' strike of 1968, my great grandmother worked in the triangle shirtwaist factory, etc. etc.

I know so many folks who were radicalized because they read this book in high school. I only wish I was one of them, that I could have tapped into the bountiful resource of history as a starting point for my radicalism, instead of having it retarded by ignorance of history. ( )
  magonistarevolt | Apr 23, 2020 |
One of those must-reads.

As a history book it shines because of its clarity. Zinn's preface includes an awesome motivation for subjectivity. ( )
  raheelahmad | Mar 22, 2020 |
Covering the period from 1492 practically to the present, this illuminating opus overturns many conventional notions, not just about America's treatment of blacks, but about Native Americans, women, and other disenfranchised groups whose perspectives have traditionally been left out of the education equation.

Howard Zinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arnove, AnthonyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cotton, FrédéricTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stubel, ToniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Noah, Georgia, Serena, Naushon, Will-and their generation
Arawak men and women, naked, tawny, and full of wonder, emerged from their villages onto the island's beaches and swam out to get a closer look at the strange big boat.
While some multimillionaires started in poverty, most did not. A study of the origins of 303 textile, railroad and steel executives of the 1870s showed that 90 percent came from middle- or upper-class families. The Horatio Alger stories of "rags to riches" were true for a few men, but mostly a myth, and a useful myth for control. — chapter 11
One percent of the nation owns a third of the wealth. The rest of the wealth is distributed in such a way as to turn those in the 99 percent against one another: small property owners against the propertyless, black against white, native-born against foreign-born, intellectuals and professionals against the uneducated and the unskilled. These groups have resented one another and warred against one another with such vehemence and violence as to obscure their common position as sharers of leftovers in a very wealthy country. — chapter 24
Capitalism has always been a failure for the lower classes. It is now beginning to fail for the middle classes. — chapter 24

Since its original landmark publication in 1980, A People's History of the United States has been chronicling American history from the bottom up, throwing out the official version of history taught in schools–with its emphasis on great men in high places–to focus on the street, the home, and the workplace.

Known for its lively, clear prose as well as its scholarly research, A People's History is the only volume to tell America's story from the point of view of–and in the words of–America's women, factory workers, African Americans, Native Americans, working poor, and immigrant laborers. As historian Howard Zinn shows, many of our country's greatest battles–for a fair wage, an eight-hour workday, child-labor laws, health and safety standards, universal suffrage, women's rights, racial equality–were carried out at the grassroots level, against bloody resistance. Covering Christopher Columbus's arrival through the 2000 Election and the "war on terrorism," ,A People's History of the United States, which was nominated for the American Book Award in 1981 and has sold more than one million copies, features insightful analysis of the most important events in our history.

This new edition contains two new chapters covering the Clinton presidency, the 2000 Election, and the "war on terrorism," continuing Zinn's important contribution to a complete and balanced understanding of American history.

Seven Stories Press

2 editions of this book were published by Seven Stories Press.

Editions: 1609803515, 1609802810

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,708,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible