I Quit!: Stop Pretending Everything Is Fine…

I Quit!: Stop Pretending Everything Is Fine and Change Your Life

by Geri Scazzero

782222,008 (4)None

NCLA Review - Wow! Sometimes that is the only word I know to use to describe the writings of a new author I have just discovered. Geri Scazzero is such an author who writes about the boldness of quitting things for the better that most of us have only imagined doing. She shows how to turn what seems to be a negative into a positive so that we may be given the life God intends for us—one of joyful living not one filled with resentment and burdens. I Quit! teaches how to align with God’s will doing the right thing for the right reasons at the right time in the right way. This is a book that I will definitely return for guidance as I too quit some things in my life so I can be who God designed me to be. Rating: 4 —ARG ( )
  ncla | May 22, 2011 |
I Quit! Stop Pretending Everything is Fine and Change your Life

This book is for those who think they have to live two lives: the Christian one and the other one. This book is for those who think they have to put on a Christian façade. This book is for those who think the Christian life is all about sacrifice. This book is for those who think the Christian life is fake. I also think this book is for adults with self-esteem issues.

I originally saw this book advertized in a MOPs magazine. When it became available free on Kindle, I downloaded it. While the things Scazzero was doing as a pastor's wife and mother, she did them because she had to and she felt should "rather than a gift freely given. [She] mistakenly believed [she] didn't have a choice." All of us can get burned out doing things we think we should, because other people think we should, or because we think we have to. This book is about identifying falsehoods, errors in thinking, while identifying God's call on our life and reclaiming our identity in Christ--the person God has called us to be.

Some have commented that this book does not show a balanced view between sacrifice and putting others first while saying no when necessary and appropriate. Some have commented that this book is too personal and the author vents and rants too much like a therapy session. I will agree that some of her examples and comments seem a little over the top. But rarely can you take 100% of a self-help type book and apply it exactly as the author describes. We are different people with different circumstances. Glean what you can and apply as best fits your situation.

I could relate to many of the examples Scazzero cited as well as the warning signs she mentions. Bottom line--the author is trying to communicate that we shouldn't be so worried about what others think of us to completely ignore all our wants and needs and be fake just to make others happy. If we are unhappy, we need to identify why--this alone could be difficult and be a bigger, deeper issue than what it would seem.

I also think this is the best book I have read that can help adults with self-esteem issues. ( )
  jennyrosewriter | Jan 21, 2011 |

Geri Scazzero knew there was something desperately wrong with how they were doing their life and ministry. She finally told her husband, "I quit," and left the thriving church he pastored, beginning a journey that transformed her, her marriage, and her church. Geri quit being afraid of what others think. She quit lying. She quit denying her anger and sadness. She quit living someone else's life. I Quit provides you a way out of an inauthentic, superficial spirituality to genuine freedom in Christ. I Quit is for every person who thinks, "I can't keep pretending everything is fine!" Biblical quitting goes hand in hand with choosing. When we quit those things that are damaging to our souls or the souls of others, we are freed up to choose other ways of being and relating that are rooted in love and lead to life. When we quit fear of what others think, we choose freedom. When we quit lies, we choose truth. When we quit blaming, we choose to take responsibility. When we quit faulty thinking, we choose to live in reality. When we quit for the right reasons, quitting changes us. Something breaks inside of us when we finally say, "No more." But it must be done for the right reasons, at the right time, and in the right way. That's what this audio download is about.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,915,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible