The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve

The Last Time They Met (edition 2001)

by Anita Shreve (Author)

At a literary festival a poet named Linda Fallon meets for the first time in years a fellow poet, Thomas Janes, whose fame has grown during a decade of seclusion. This is no chance meeting. Thomas saw that Linda was scheduled to appear, and chose this moment to re-establish contact with a woman he had passionately pursued years earlier. Their affair was disastrous for them both, a turning point in their lives, and the damage they did in those years still haunts them both.… (more)
Member:recdep.books
Title:The Last Time They Met
Authors:Anita Shreve (Author)
Info:Abacus (2001), Edition: New Ed, 368 pages

Work Information

The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve

English (36)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
This book was all over the place. I was constantly trying to figure out who was who and where they were. At times I couldn't wait to read to see what happened next and other times I had to force myself to finish this book. The ending was the absolute worst...for me it ruined the book and any of the good parts of the book. Very disappointing! ( )
  ShellyQ | Oct 12, 2021 |
Have no respect for this book or their characters. If I respected the characters I might have like the idea of reading about three different times in their lives. The beginning showed some promise of a true love in the past but their behavior in Africa was not my style. The descriptions of Africa were good but having Linda love her husband but still feel the need for repeated sex with a high school boyfriend did not seem right. Thomas was more in love with Linda than I felt she was for him. The ending made their love even more of a disappointment. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Fascinating book told in a very different way. We actually meet the main characters when they are 52 and each segment goes backwards into time in their lives. So did everything we thought really happen or was it all in one character's mind? Really liked this book. ( )
  LilQuebe | May 21, 2020 |
I don't really get the ending. Not sure what happened there, but I enjoyed the book overall. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
Started & left at the summer place again. By the reviews it's a love it or hate it book so it will be interesting to find out which side I end up on.

Tried to get back into it, but couldn't scrape up any interest to keep going.
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
for Janet
She had come from the plane and was even now forgetting the ride from the airport.

From the last time Linda and Thomas meet, at a charmless hotel in a distant city, to the moment thirty-five years earlier, when a chance encounter on a rocky beach binds them fatefully together, this hypnotically compelling novel unfolds a tale of intense passion, drama, and suspense.

Hachette Book Group

4 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 0316781266, 0316713732, 0316781142, 160024100X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,014,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible