Brayan's Gold: The Demon Cycle, Book 1.5 by…

Brayan's Gold: The Demon Cycle, Book 1.5 (edition 2011)

by Peter V. Brett (Author), Lauren K. Cannon (Illustrator)

Member:LexieS17
Title:Brayan's Gold: The Demon Cycle, Book 1.5
Authors:Peter V. Brett (Author)
Other authors:Lauren K. Cannon (Illustrator)
Info:Subterranean (2011), Edition: Deluxe Hardcover Edition, 88 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:adult dark fantasy, adult epic fantasy, anti-hero fantasy, assassin fantasy, grimdark fantasy, gritty fantasy, heroic fantasy, high fantasy, magic fantasy, sword and sorcery

Brayan's Gold by Peter V. Brett

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
This was the last novella of Brett's that was still pending for me. Now I've read everything Demon Cycle related. It also had the dual purpose of psyching my up to read the last book The Core, which is currently sitting on my desk. While this novella was short, it was classic Arlen. Here he is a little reckless, a little daring, and on a quest to take back what the demons stole form humanity. He doesn't really change all that much come to think of it. His methods do for sure, but his goal has always been the same. I'm looking forward to the last book. ( )
  Kassilem | Jan 7, 2018 |
Dang. Now I am out of new Peter Brett material to read. I will just have to wait for book three of the Demon Cycle to come out. Brayan's Gold was a fun, short glimpse of Arlen working as a messenger's apprentice. A must read for anyone that liked The Warded/Painted Man and The Desert Spear. ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
Loved it! It makes waiting for the next installment somewhat quasi bearable! ( )
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I’m really enjoying these little novellas that Sub Press puts out. Because they’re meant as stand-alone side-stories, they’re a great way for me to get a feel for an author’s world and writing style before jumping into a big series.

Peter V. Brett’s Brayan’s Gold is the story of how Arlen, one of the main characters in Brett’s Demon Cycle, goes on his first solo job and meets a snow demon. The episode is referred to in the story collection The Great Bazaar, but hadn’t been written until Brett’s friend asked him about the story. So, here it is.

Even though I haven’t read Brett’s The Warded Man or its sequel The Desert Spear, I had no trouble jumping right into this fascinating world where demons rise up from the Earth when the sun goes down. Rock demons, wind demons, flame demons and others terrorize humans and kill those who are not under wards. Nobody’s ever met a snow demon and lived to tell, so Arlen isn’t sure if they really exist until he comes across one while he’s unprotected.

Since this is a prequel of sorts, it’s not a spoiler to say that Arlen survives; watching him plan, bargain, and fight is the fun part. I liked Arlen immediately — he’s “got stones like a rock demon” — and I liked Brett’s world. I’m ready to spend some more time with Arlen and his friends as they battle the demons (I already have The Warded Man and The Desert Spear in my Audible Library).

Brayan’s Gold is a short novel — only 88 pages, but it’s the perfect appetizer. I recommend Brayan’s Gold to fans of Peter V. Brett, and to readers, like me, who want to taste his world before putting a whole helping on their plate. I think I’ll be going back for seconds or thirds on this one! ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Some editions of The Great Bazaar and Other Stories by Peter V. Brett contain Brayan's Gold, others do not contain this novella. I wonder if this is grounds for separation of the editions? - 1Dragones.

This novella presents Arlen Bales, a seventeen-year-old apprentice Messenger carrying a dangerous cargo to Count Brayan's gold mine as One Arm, the giant rock demon, hunts him through the duchy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,242,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible