HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Happy Birthday, Little Pookie (Pookie Books)

by Sandra Boynton

1942124,802 (4)None
Little Pookie wakes Mom and Dad up when it is still dark to celebrate its birthday.

This was a first birthday gift! ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
Pookie is the pig character in a series of board books by one of our favorite writers of that format, Sandra Boynton. Pookie is young and feisty, and I would estimate he is toddler age (or she - the gender is ambiguous in both books we own featuring the little piggy). This story is all about the pig's birthday. It starts well before sunrise, as Pookie wakes his disgruntled parents. They assure him that he can wait until it's light out, and send him back to bed; only to be awoken once more while it's still dark. Pookie explains that it's his birthday, and his parents, being good sports, agree that it is indeed, and force themselves up early just for Pookie's special day. Festivities ensue, and they are simple celebrations appropriate for a wee piggy (haha) celebrating an early birthday. A balloon, special birthday pancakes - shaped like a pig! -a nap, and presents. I love that the parents put on hats to deliver the important birthday message. The story is not as humorous or as filled with a stomping rhythm as some of Boynton's other books, but instead, possesses the charm of a lovely family portrait. The sense of a close family is tangible, and the love the parents feel for their little pookie is endearing and rolls off the page. The text is simple, and Boynton still utilizes an economy of words to great effect; even if the story isn't as song-like as others, it is great to read aloud. While we tend to reach for other Boynton books first, we do like this small story that is clearly personally inspired, and have read it many times. ( )
  nmhale | Dec 20, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,896,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible