Night Road by Kristin Hannah

Night Road (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Kristin Hannah (Author)

After a string of foster homes and the death of her heroin-addict mother, Lexi Baill is taken in by a newly discovered great-aunt who lives a spartan life near Seattle. Lexi soon meets Mia and her loving twin brother, Zach. The friendship flourishes, and Mia's mother draws Lexi into the family circle. A slowly growing attraction between Zach and Lexi begins, but then Lexi, Mia, and Zach collectively make a bad decision that results in a tragedy with extreme repercussions.… (more)
Member:THerb7919
Title:Night Road
Authors:Kristin Hannah (Author)
Info:Griffin (2012), Edition: First, 432 pages

Night Road by Kristin Hannah (2011)

Review: Night Road by Kristin Hannah. 4.5* 09/05/2021

This is a well written story with amazing characters. The main characters are Lexi, who came from a trouble past and Mia and Zach, who are twins that are brought up wanting for nothing. This is a story of friends when one night tragedy struck. The amazing story was about love, friendship, family, loss, and grief.

Once you start to read you have a hard time putting it down. There is so much to the story that every page was memorizing. There were so many twist and turns that the author takes the readers emotions all over the place. Sometimes you’re laughing along with one of the characters than next your angry at what’s going on and then all of a sudden you have tears running down your cheeks.

There are many messages throughout the story about love, forgiveness, acceptance, loss and most of all teens dealing with tragedy, and who’s to blame, and the consequences of poor choices and taking responsibility. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Oct 23, 2021 |
After years of being married Elizabeth and Jackson Shore now find themselves empty nesters. When Jack accepts a wonderful new job across the country and Elizabeth's father suddenly passes away...they realize all of a sudden they are both wanting different things out of life.
As Elizabeth grieves for her father, she also rediscovers herself. With the help of longtime friends and the strength from her new friends, Elizabeth begins her journey of independence. She picks up painting once again and strives for finding new happiness
This book is a wonderful story of family, friends, and life's ups and downs!

Once again Kristin Hannah knocks out of the park! I really liked this book and it was the perfect read for a poolside vacation! ( )
  ShellyQ | Jul 24, 2021 |
Alexa (Lexi) has been shunted around to various foster homes most of her young life. At the start of high school, she is brought to her Great Aunt Eva to raise. Eva enrolls her in the best high school in the area where she meets the Farraday twins, Mia and Zach, and their parents, Jude and Miles. Lexi immediately feels a connection to the handsome Zach and becomes friends with Mia, a girl who has few friends. Jude is a very controlling parent but welcomes Lexi into her family. Eventually, the stresses of their senior year in high school with applying to colleges and partying changes all their lives forever. ( )
  baughga | Apr 27, 2021 |
I do not recommend reading this is you have lost a young member of your family to a car accident caused by drunken driving.
For as sad and tragic as the book was, the ending was a little too perfect. ( )
  RobertaLea | Mar 12, 2021 |
It was a mistake. A misjudgment. A collision between bulletproof teens, first-love, alcohol, and poor choices. And it left a family shattered, with a woman who had made her children the center of her world trying to go forward while still shackled to a flesh-and-blood reminder of what she had lost.

Hannah does a good job here in keeping this out of soap-opera territory with sharp character development, but it’s a close shave. Young love is set on what is obviously going to be a collision course with cold, hard reality, and there’s buckets of angst to go around. The teens’ mom is herself the child of an emotionally absent parent, and she has made it her life’s work to nurture and protect her golden twins. She’s already dealing with separation anxiety engendered by their upcoming departure for college when her children’s attachment to a hard-luck case complicates everything in ways that are pretty well predictable.

There’s some nice imagery here involving a garden and, always, that underlying thread of mothers and children and how close is too close, how far is too far, and how can one overcome that which cannot be endured. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Mar 7, 2021 |
An epic tale of love, friendship, loss and forgiveness.

Once I finished sobbing (and we're talking UGLY cry), I was able to look at Night Road and realize just how wonderful this book truly was.

I am having such a hard time writing the review for this book because it evoked so much emotion in me - sad, angry, happy, frustrated - that I don't know if I can find the appropriate words. How do you tell someone about a book that, literally, took your breath away? Having read Winter Garden and Firefly Lane, I thought I knew what I was in for but this one... nothing could prepare me for the ride I was about to have.

As the characters lives become intertwined, and the story more developed, you can see the amazing gift and talent that Kristin Hannah has. Through her writing, I became a classmate of Lexi, Mia and Zach. I could feel every emotion that I had back then, resurfacing. Their journey through high school becomes like that of a memory, something you have done and aren't just reading about.

Overall, this is a book that I am and will be thinking about for a long time to come. Whether you are a mother, a sister or a friends, Night Road is a story that anyone can relate to. A definite MUST-read!!

A flawed but never dull drama.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Jan 15, 2011)

Even readers who like their melodrama thick will have problems as Hannah pushes credibility to the breaking point, and more than once.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Jan 3, 2011)

I cannot deny that I was a helicopter mom. I went to every class gathering, party, and field trip, until my son begged me to please, please, stay at home. Now that he is grown and a college graduate, I can look back on our shared high school years with the wisdom that comes from distance. His senior year was without a doubt one of the most stressful years of my life, as well as one of the most rewarding. When I think back on it - and those memories were the inspiration for this novel - I remember so many of the highs and the lows. Mostly I think how lucky I was to live in a tight-knit, caring community where we supported one another. So, here's to my son, Tucker, and all of the kids who streamed through our house, lighting it up with their laughter, Ryan, Kris, Erik, Gabe, Andy, Marci, Whitney, Willie, Lauren, Angela, and Anna, just to name a few. And to the other moms: I honestly don't know how I would have survived without you. Thanks for always being there, for knowing when to lend a hand, when to offer a margarita, and when to tell me a hard truth. To Julie, Andy, Jill, Megan, Ann, and Barbara. Last, but certainly not least, thanks to my husband, Ben, who was always by my side, letting me know in a thousand ways that in parenting, as in everything else, we ere a team. Thanks to you all.
She stands at the hairpin curve on Night Road.

Night Road kept me turning the pages, although I lost sympathy for Jude Farraday after a while. Her grief was great, however, she was unable to see beyond herself during this trying period and her family suffered immensely because of it. Hannah redeems her character nicely at the end, and Judy learns and important lesson about love and forgiveness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,435,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible