Why Do Catholics Do That?: A Guide to the…

Why Do Catholics Do That?: A Guide to the Teachings and Practices of the… (edition 1995)

by Kevin Orlin Johnson (Author)

In Why Do Catholics Do That? renowned scholar and religion columnist Kevin Orlin Johnson answers the most frequently asked questions on Catholic faith, worship, culture, and customs, including: * How the Church Makes Laws * The Hard-Fought Genesis of the New Testament * The Cycle of Redemption * A Short Guide to the Meaning and Structure of the Mass * Decoding Symbols of Scripture and the Sacraments * The Calendar as the Image of Christ's Life * The Rosary * The Stations of the Cross * Monks, Nuns, and the Rules That Guide Them * The Pope * The Laity in the Modern World * Saints * Fatima, Lourdes, and the Story of Apparitions * The Vatican: A Holy City * The Sign of the Cross, Christianity's Best-Known Symbol * Candles in Prayer and Liturgy * The Meaning of the Nativity Scene Blending religious history, a deep appreciation for art and culture, and an enlightened reverence for the traditions of the Church, Why Do Catholics Do That? is the definitive resource for any one who wants to learn more about the rituals, symbols, and traditions that can strengthen our faith every day. "Johnson offers lucid explanations of a dizzying array of customs and beliefs." --Publishers Weekly… (more)
Member:ctkmission
Title:Why Do Catholics Do That?: A Guide to the Teachings and Practices of the Catholic Church
Authors:Kevin Orlin Johnson (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (1995), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages

Work Information

Why Do Catholics Do That? by Kevin Orlin Johnson

A very lively instructional book. I highly recommend it. ( )
  penelopemarzec | Jan 19, 2016 |
When I read this book, it was mostly as a joke. I had decided to read it because I thought the title was humorous. However, I read it seriously, not half-heartedly. This is one of two books (the other being Greg Tobin's "The Wisdom of St. Patrick") that helped to begin and solidify my thought processes toward converting to Catholicism. The author really pulls you in and forces you to look at not just what the Church does, but why it does those things and whether or not that is what we all should be doing. As a protestant reading this, it made me really analyze my protestant roots and question them like I've never questioned them before. This book was really my first step. I fought it all the way, but there are things about both Protestantism and Catholicism that this book makes you realize deep in your soul and heart. Another must read for the Protestant, either with Catholic friends, with an interest in the history and tradition of the Church, or one thinking of converting... This book will take one through an amazing spiritual journey whether you wish to go or not. ( )
  nivek1385 | Feb 26, 2015 |
Dry. Boring. Somewhat informative. ( )
  nevusmom | Jun 8, 2007 |
Not sure how a Catholic would view this book, but it answers a lot of questions one might have. And who knew that you didn't have to take formal vows to become an exorcist?! ( )
  drinkingtea | Jan 10, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,843,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible