Caribou Island by David Vann

Caribou Island (original 2011; edition 2011)

by David Vann

Member:thalassa_thalassa
Title:Caribou Island
Authors:David Vann
Info:Harper (2011), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:**
Tags:US, quiet desperation, _book

Caribou Island by David Vann (2011)

English (32)  Danish (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (41)
Im giving this book a fair rating because it was written really well and I quite enjoyed the Alaskan setting, I also rather enjoyed the interesting characters, and I was drawn into their world and routing for them to have a happy ending.
Wow - was I hit in the face with an unhappy ending. I feel like there should be some sort of a warning for JUST HOW DEPRESSING THIS NOVEL IS. Now because I am interested in reading about mental health, I gave it a fair rating, if I wasnt interested, i would give this book a poor rating, because it is so grim and not in a fun terrifying way- it is actually rather disgusting and envoked a lot of deep rooted emotions from me.
I actually have to take a break to recooperate from it. ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
Set in Alaska, this is a very dark story of a dysfunctional marriage that has endured with a grim determination for many years and produced two children, a son and a daughter. The son lives a hedonistic existence and the daughter struggles in a barely functional relationship with a deceptive man; however, she is the main emotional support of their severely depressed mother. The ending affirms what has been sadly apparent throughout this book. It is extremely well written with a meticulous attention to the details that make this novel so haunting. ( )
  pdebolt | Apr 12, 2015 |
This book was hard to read at some stages. "Gritty", a reviewer might say. There are no good relationships in this book, no people you want to be - they're all deeply, deeply flawed. At one stage I even considered stopping reading because I couldn't feel enough connection with the characters. I persisted, however, and I'm glad I did. At the end I think I came to realise that no matter how terrible these people were, I am not actually that far away from being one of them. ( )
  oldblack | Feb 3, 2015 |
Couldn't put this book down. Vann tells a gripping but bleak tale set in Alaska. V good characterisation and sense of place. ( )
  sianpr | Dec 11, 2014 |
This grim novel moves implacably toward its dark climax but is so gripping that I could not stop reading despite a cast of manipulative, crazed, doomed characters and implicit violence on every page. It was not a fun read but it was not possible for me to put the book down. My ration of sardonic pessimism about human nature for the decade. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
My mother was not real.

When the construction of their dream cabin on an isolated Alaskan island is interrupted by an early Arctic winter, Gary and Irene find their marriage unraveling as they become stranded with their daughter, Rhoda, who watches helplessly as her parents drift further apart.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,866,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible