Fables, Vol. 07: Arabian Nights and Days

by Bill Willingham

Other authors: Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Jim Fern (Illustrator), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator), Jimmy Palmiotti (Illustrator), Andrew Pepoy (Illustrator)

Series: Bill Willingham's Fables (Vol. 7, Issues 42-47), Fables 2002-2015 (#42-#47)

Now that they know the identity of the Adversary, Fabletown prepares to defend itself. That means forming alliances with others who are unconquered by the Adversary's legions, but the arrival of a delegations from the Arabian Homelands shows them how tricky this can prove to be.

English (29)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
Very well done. I found it interesting how they chose to portray Arab fables: they own slaves, see the Westerners as infidels, and generally distrusting. The ending was very well done though, so no complaints there. ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
arabian fables come to Fabletown, evil Vizier releases d'jinn but is foiled by Frau Tottenkinder
  ritaer | Jul 22, 2021 |

I love this opening.

What we have here... is a failure to communicate.

And how it just builds from there, expanding the Fables universe to include a whole new world[^yup] of Fables inspired on Middle Eastern tales, including all sorts of culture shock and having to deal with the Fable equivalent of nuclear weaponry: a djinn.

Fun times. Great stories.

And then add to that, the final story is set among the Adversary's wooden soldiers, with something of a clash of cultures of it's own and a Romeo and Juliet (only wooden) story. It's a bit hard to read (physically, the font is weird), but a fascinating look at just what in the world it means to be human in such a wild and crazy world.

More semi-spoilery images:

Oh Prince Charming. Now you've got the girl/city, and you're all done with that... But you're still stuck with it.

That... is a remarkably sneaky way to deal with it. I was wondering what they were going to do. It's wonderful.

Boy Blue is back in the dog house (which could be all too literal), doing time on the farm for all the things he stole. I have a sneaky suspicion that his story isn't over just yet.

Sapline. It's funny 'cause they're made of wood[^funny].

Oh 'made of meat' jokes. Not particularly original, but still amusing. Such derision for something so (to us) normal.

[^yup]: Yup. I went there.

[^funny]: It's also funny when you explain the joke. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Fun times. Mostly because of the (spoiler). ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
The Arabian Fables have finally begun to feel pressure from the Adversary and a Fabletown agent has arranged for an Arabian embassy to arrive in New York. The problem is that Charming failed to get the message.

Frau Totenkinder keeps building into a more important character with each appearance, Beast really comes into his own, and some groundwork for future drama is laid by Charming's mistakes, even as he seems to be shaping into a capable leader. Jack also seems to be well and truly out of the picture since his Hollywood plans backfired.

I've reached the end of my library's collection - so until I shell out some money or arrange for some i.l.l's I've reached the end of my story. I think I'll be back sooner rather than later.

Fables

Previous: 'Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands'

Next: 'Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |

Palmiotti, JimmyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pepoy, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Well, we're here.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,150,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible