Fables Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days) by…

Fables Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days) (edition 2006)

by Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham (Illustrator)

Member:2stepnk8
Title:Fables Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days)
Authors:Bill Willingham
Other authors:Mark Buckingham (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2006), Paperback, 144 pages

Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights and Days by Bill Willingham (Author)

English (28)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
The Arabian Fables have finally begun to feel pressure from the Adversary and a Fabletown agent has arranged for an Arabian embassy to arrive in New York. The problem is that Charming failed to get the message.

Frau Totenkinder keeps building into a more important character with each appearance, Beast really comes into his own and some groundwork for future drama is laid by Charming's mistakes, even as he seems to be shaping into a capable leader. Jack also seems to be well and truly out of the picture since his Hollywood plans backfired.

I've reached the end of my library's collection - so until I shell out some money or arrange for some i.l.l's I've reached the end of my story. I think I'll be back sooner rather than later.

Previous: Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands

Next: Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I thought this one was fun because we get to meet one of the many world contained in the homelands; the Arabian Empire. So far the Adversary hasn't taken over their lands, but it's only a matter of time. An emissary from their land comes to Fabletown for talks and things escalate quickly when Prince Charming discovers they brought a jinn with them. It's the most destructive magical thing in existence and it could drastically change the direction of their alliance talks. ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 31, 2018 |
Willingham seems to use the term "Arab" with a consistent negative conatation, and the rich lore associated with Eastern fairly tales has been relegated to modern stereotypes. A few interesting plot points in a volume that is mediocre at best, and condescending (or worse) otherwise. ( )
1 vote amazedemon | Oct 15, 2016 |
As promised in the previous volume, the Adversary has moved into the Arabian fables, causing an envoy headed by Sinbad to show up at Fabletown's doorstep. After some initial mishaps, King Cole is set up as the translator/diplomat to reach out to these new refugees and get them situated to life away from the Homelands. But when it's ascertained that the group brought a powerful d'jinn along with them, Fabletown residents begin to fear that a horrible fate may await them all.

Let's start with the good things first -- the illustrations continue to be excellent, and I loved the calligraphic-esque lettering used to indicate when the characters were speaking Arabic rather than English. Willingham is still witty, with little puns and jokes interspersed without the darker story. And while Bigby was notably absent still, we did get a glance of Snow White and the cubs living their life up at the farm. And Willingham is up to his romantic twists with a story about two star-crossed lovers of the marionette form in the Homelands as well as the continuing storyline involving Red Riding Hood.

But this was definitely my least favorite offering amongst this series so far. The stand-off with the d'jinn fizzled out to nothing, albeit with a rather clever resolution. There's always been a few gaps in logic in this world, but somehow these felt more apparent now -- like how Bigby's father could have probably defeated the Adversary early on but felt he didn't have any skin in the game (even though Bigby was hugely involved in striking out against the Adversary) until now that his grandchildren are around and at risk, or how the fabled Baghdad is accessible through an underground tunnel from the present-day Baghdad, or how nonhuman Fables are banished to the Farm, except for Bufkin and a number of others.

My bigger gripe was the whole culture clash theme. I think that perhaps Willingham was trying to say something about the current Western-Eastern divide, but I'm not sure that it came across well if so. Sinbad is shown as a character that can respect others and is able to see diverse viewpoints, and some members of his entourage ultimately decide to become assimilated into Fabletown. But then there's the main "baddie" of this book, Sinbad's chief adviser Yusuf, a huge caricature who seems to be based on Disney's Jafar, complete with diabolical curlicue beard. He - and some others - repeatedly refer to Westerners as "infidels" and are bloodthirsty and vengeful at the smallest perceived slight. Also, the Fabletown residents' shock and awe at the idea that their new visitors have slaves is the right idea morally but is a little rich considering most of them derive from fairy tales written when feudalism -- a small step above slavery -- was at its height. Again, maybe Willingham was trying to make a statement with these cultural observations, but it seemed to fall short of the mark for me.

At any rate, I'm hoping this was a one-off issue, and I'm moving on to the next volume with optimistic expectations that all will be right again. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Aug 10, 2016 |
Unfortunately, after the high quality of Volume 6, this was not the direction for Willingham to go. The Arabian Fables are depicted as unsubtle racist caricatures, and for the first time, the subtext of Willingham's conservative politics is rapidly becoming text. It is, frankly, an uncomfortable read, and a major disappointment after the upturn of the last few collections. ( )
2 vote saroz | May 17, 2016 |

Palmiotti, JimmyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pepoy, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Well, we're here.

Now that they know the identity of the Adversary, Fabletown prepares to defend itself. That means forming alliances with others who are unconquered by the Adversary's legions, but the arrival of a delegations from the Arabian Homelands shows them how tricky this can prove to be.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,134,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible