Clara and Mr Tiffany (2011)

by Susan Vreeland

Louis Comfort Tiffany staffs his studio with female artisans--a decision that protects him from strikes by the all-male union--but refuses to employ women who are married. Lucky for him, Clara Driscoll's romantic misfortunes insure that she can continue to craft the jewel-toned glass windows and lamps that catch both her eye and her imagination.… (more)

English (72)  Italian (1)  All languages (73)
Historical fiction about turn of the century New York City and the woman who was instrumental in the designing of Louis Comfort Tiffany's stained glass lamps and other works. A lovely read. ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |
Slow moving turn-of-the-century story of a woman who worked designing Tiffany lamps. Too much detail about the process and little about the main character, Clara. I read half and quit. ( )
  LivelyLady | Dec 5, 2019 |
I've read many good books by this author and this one does not fail to satisfy. This book is based in reality. Clara was real as was the struggle in the early 1900's with women not being permitted to join unions. Did not know much about the Tiffany family (father a jeweler, son a window maker), but the excesses and craziness did not surprise me. Great read although some of the descriptions of glass cutting and curing were too much. ( )
  Tess_W | Oct 21, 2019 |
I read about half to this and it is half too much,

A pretend historical novel full of anachronisms. I'd say it's a bad romance novel disguised as an historical novel. There is no depth, poorly studies.

This is the pick for my local club. WIsh I could get my money back.

DO NOT RECOMMEND ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
I loved this book which is based on actual people and occurrences. The book is about Clara Driscoll who was Louis Comfort Tiffany's head designer. She is noted for creating the original Tiffany lamps and also noted for managing Tiffany's women's department in the late 19 century and into the early 20 century. Ms. Vreeland's writing is exquisite. She is noted for writing books about art and artists, and about some of the lesser known artists found around some of the more famous ones. This book goes into tremendous detail about designer glass artistry right from the creation or blowing of the glass to the cutting, treating and creation of glass wall panels, stained glass windows and, of course, Tiffany lamps. We see the creative glass industry from Clara's eyes, and through Ms. Vreeland's discerning artistic knowledge and the words she uses to describe the people, places and the art itself.
All the gorgeous creations and the glorious colours were depicted so well in this book. Maybe because we are in the middle of an extremely cold winter storm front right now, but the descriptions and colours and majesty touched me more than they might have in the middle of a warm summer day, but I loved the book, and it was so nice to know that it is written about real people. The characters are realistic and three-dimensional as well, This book was true escape for me. A chance to step back in time and see and experience the gilded age, the opulence of Tiffany's Studios, and the people who lived during this time. ( )
  Romonko | Feb 3, 2019 |
Beauty is what Nature has lavished upon us as a Supreme Gift. - - Louis Comfort Tiffany
For Barbara Braun and John Baker, who led me to Clara and Tiffany
I opened the beveled-glass door under the sign announcing Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company in ornate bronze.
"Son, if the mountain was smooth, you couldn't climb it."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,878,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible