HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Ella and the Panther's Quest

by Lisa Anne Nisula

742,177,525 (3.13)None
After a terrible day, Ella Peterson goes to the library to escape in a book. Instead she literally ends up in another world after being taken through an enchanted mirror by a footstool. On the other side, she finds a panther trapped in a cage. He is waiting for a hero to free him and help him reach the cursed castle he can see through the prison window. Ella is taken home and the first opportunity, but, unable to ignore the panther's sad eyes, Ella packs up her knitting bag with what she thinks she'll need for a journey in a strange land, and goes back through the mirror to find a way to free the panther and help him on his quest.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Member Giveaways.
I received a copy of this book through the member's giveaway, and found it to be a quick, enjoyable read. I particularly enjoyed the interaction between Ella and the panther, in particular that she turns out to be the heroine he needed, rather than the hero he wanted. Footstool is a great sidekick, and although the storyline was somewhat predictable to me, I'm sure that won;t be as much of an issue for younger readers.
The only thing that jarred a little was the ending, which seemed a little rushed perhaps, not quite as polished as the rest of the story. I would certainly recommend this book to young fantasy readers and anyone else looking for a fun way to pass a couple of hours. ( )
  Tropical-Library | May 20, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Member Giveaways.
"Ella and the Panther's Quest" is an interesting blend of a Beauty and the Beast and Quest driven fantasy novel. Ella is a young substitute teacher who enjoys hanging out at the library from where she is transported magically into an alternate universe to help a caged panther. Ella thinks of an innovative way to secure the panthers freedom and subsequently joins him on his quest to destroy the evil magician. I found the character interplay quite charming and it helped to keep me interested in the story. I also really liked the underlying theme that though Ella seems like an unlikely hero (and is actively resented as one by the panther), she is the one who is able to help him.

Although the book is meant for younger readers, I found it quite engaging. While there aren't a lot of plot twists the constant movement as Ella progresses through the kingdom helps to draw your attention. I did find the authors attention to knitting patterns somewhat jarring and not altogether harmonious with the flow of the narrative.

In all, I did enjoy reading the book and would like to thank Lisa Anne Nisula for giving me the opportunity. I think it would be appealing to younger girls. The copy of the book that I am reviewing is an ebook and I received it through the members giveaway program. ( )
  anatwork.k | Dec 3, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Member Giveaways.
This is one of the first complimentary e-books I've received through the early reviewers program of Librarything. Being new to this, I clearly had no idea what would be received. As it is, I've enjoyed reading this book. Though being more of a science fiction reader than fantasy, this fairy tell was a very easy and entertaining read. At some point I started wondering whether I was reading a children's book or actual adult fantasy. Being a non-native English reader, I had absolutely no problem at all reading the book.

The book felt quite similar to Alice in Wonderland at points but whether that is a negative is up to the reader. The plot is somewhat predictable, but the interaction between the characters and most importantly the question of whom the 'footstool' is, keeps the suspension going. I finished the book in just a few hours of almost continous reading, which says something for the plot and readability!

I there is anything negative to be said about this book, it would be on one hand the sometimes irritating typos causing a non-native reader to re-read a sentence in a plot that develops very fast. The other downside is the constant referral to knitting in the book. I is obvious, even without referring to her website, that Lisa Anne is a knitting fanatic. At points this gives the plot an unforeseen direction, but overall I felt it to be layed on to thickley to be amusing or a consistent (or expected) part of a fairy tale like this. ( )
  hydrografie | Nov 28, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Member Giveaways.
Ella's adventure begins while trying to reach for the public library's copy of the works of Lewis Carroll, which turns out to be prophetic as she is propelled through an enchanted mirror into a magical world by an animated footstool. There she meets the panther of the book's title. This being a magical world, the panther explains that he has a quest to rescue a cursed castle, but has been imprisoned in a locked cage and so must wait for a champion who can free him and then accompany him on this mission.

Unsurprisingly enough, Ella succeeds in freeing the panther, and joins the big cat and walking, but not talking, footstool in their journey (think Walt Disney's Beauty and the Beast). Panther reluctantly agrees to Ella's presence, being firmly convinced that they will meet the true hero along the way. The plot moves quickly along (despite the near 300 page count) as the unlikely trio successfully negotiate a succession of obstacles and adversaries. At times the plot development felt very Alice's Adventures in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass, at others I was reminded of C. S. Lewis's Silver Chair.

Ella and the Panther's Quest is self-published, so it is not as polished as it could be. There are occasional typos and sometimes the dialog can be stilted. It is however a "ripping yarn"; an enjoyable page-turner of a fairy tale with a suprisingly satisfying ending.

I was provided with a complimentary e-book of this title by the author. I have received no remuneration for this review. ( )
  HappieAnnie | Oct 18, 2010 |

Lisa Anne Nisula is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,785,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible