In a Sunburned Country (2000)

by Bill Bryson

Series: Bill Bryson's Travels (5)

8,316219773 (3.98)314
Travel writer Bill Bryson chronicles the experiences he had and profiles the people and wildlife he encountered while traveling through Australia.

English (208)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (217)
Australia is an enthralling country and Bill Bryson does full justice to it with this breezy travelogue. He describes his experiences travelling the length and breadth of the continent, spiced up with many tidbits of history. The writing is effortlessly funny and I enjoyed his descriptions of the places and people a lot. Reading this book has sown in me the desire to visit this wondrous place, to see for myself the things Bryson has described.
On the negative side, I could not connect with the many typically American references he has made in this book, being not from that part of the world. Also, his repeated exclamations about how big Australia is tend to become a bit tedious. But these are only minor issues in a book that is as interesting as the great country itself. ( )
  aravind_aar | Nov 21, 2021 |
In 1999, Bill Bryson toured Australia with the aim of publishing this book in time for the 2000 Olympics held in Sydney; in it, he shares stories of his encounters with the people, places, fauna, flora and environments of the vast country, some of them poignant and many quite funny. A jarring note is the occasional foray into the history of European contact with Aboriginal cultures, truly horrendous behaviour that anyone conversant with the European conquests of much of the rest of the world will recognize; these passages seem quite out of step with the rest of the book. It is also quite out of date in some respects, specifically the situation of Uluru (Bryson alternates between using that name and Ayers Rock), since climbing the sacred site has been forbidden since 2019. But in terms of describing some of the oldest landscapes and strangest creatures on the planet, this book is quite entertaining. So, a mixed review from me. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Nov 18, 2021 |
Bryson is always a great read ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
Once again I've found a Bill Bryson book that I love. Thanks to the person who recommended it to me! This is a perfect topic (some might say foil?) for Bryson's dry wit and ability to find unique, interesting tidbits where others see a desert. It is laugh-out-loud humorous, fascinating, and discusses a topic that is relatively unknown - Australia! I never felt like Bryson got cranky and started dissing the people or places he saw down under, as sometimes happens in his books. Just a real joy to read through and through. ( )
  Jeff.Rosendahl | Sep 21, 2021 |
This is an utterly charming and delightful book. Bryson travels through Australia with an open mind, a taste for adventure, and a frank open-heartedness and humor that make him the perfect companion and guide. He enhances the stories of his own travels with tales and tidbits about Australia's human and natural history, making even botany and geology fun and engaging.

This was my first Bryson book, and I'm looking forward to reading more. ( )
  jsabrina | Jul 13, 2021 |
Boisterous and contagious, Bryson’s writing is a constant affectionate tease aimed at prodding the reader as much as the society and place that he is describing. Bryson loves Australia and he wants you to share his enthusiasm for it. Wherever Bryson is: gaping at a giant stuffed lobster on the roadside in the middle of the Australian outback, cursing himself as he tries to snorkel unsuccessfully in the Great Barrier Reef, or admiring Sydney’s harbor he writes with a love and a ruthlessness that only a sibling or best friend would dare to use.
added by mikeg2 | editYale University, Noam Schimmel (Jun 10, 2001)

Bryson, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davids, TinkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gower, NeilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, Felicity, Catherine, and Sam
Flying into Australia, I realized with a sigh that I had forgotten again who their prime minister is.
published in Britain as "Down Under"

The author of "A Walk in the Woods" now chronicles his exploration of Australia. This good-humoured traveller relates his outback adventures with anecdotes
about the history and local inhabitants. Describes the harsh terrain and hostile wildlife including crocodiles, poisonous snakes, and attacking seashells.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,460,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible