In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

In a Sunburned Country (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Bill Bryson

Travel writer Bill Bryson chronicles the experiences he had and profiles the people and wildlife he encountered while traveling through Australia.
Member:jsk85
Title:In a Sunburned Country
Authors:Bill Bryson
Info:Broadway (2001), Paperback, 352 pages

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson (2000)

Recently added byJaynesHat, JayJBear, LilLily, Hermen65, Colleen85, M4ttM4n, DavidMinnick, gleedspeed, private library

English (204)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (213)
This is an utterly charming and delightful book. Bryson travels through Australia with an open mind, a taste for adventure, and a frank open-heartedness and humor that make him the perfect companion and guide. He enhances the stories of his own travels with tales and tidbits about Australia's human and natural history, making even botany and geology fun and engaging.

This was my first Bryson book, and I'm looking forward to reading more. ( )
  jsabrina | Jul 13, 2021 |
I'm jonesing to read about Australia right now...

*****

Or I was.

Two things:

1) I was obsessed with Australia in grade school and often realize that I still have a lingering fascination with the continent.

2) Friends and family have been insisting that I read Bill Bryson for years now.

Result? I realized too late that I was supposed to read Bill Bryson as a Bill Bryson fan and not because of the content. I'm only halfway through it, but I. Just. Can't. Do. It. Anymore. I am so sorry, everyone! He is too freaking quaint and self-aware and kind of hypocritical for my tastes and can't get over how quaint the country is to him even in its dangers. The man's got a voice, I'll give him that, but he's just so very clearly a rather sedentary, middle-aged white dude. Reading others' reviews, it appears the content I'm more interested in (ie, anywhere but the over-discussed south-eastern territories) happens in the second half of the book, but I just can't bring myself to continue. Also from reading others' reviews, I seem to be of the lonely few that found his discussion of the history and current state of Australia interesting and approachable. If I could only figure out how to gloss over his more unnecessary personal ramblings to get the meat that I want, I would. Even then, though, he started to allude that he was fudging some facts, which left a really bad taste in my mouth, and henceforth, I found him a totally unreliable narrator--with each discussion I kept wondering, is he stating a fact or yanking our chain? I can appreciate a charismatic approach to non-fiction (I can't usually read it if it isn't), but not at the expense of getting correct information. Maybe Bryson couldn't figure out if this was a memoir or just straight non-fiction. I've got The Songlines by Bruce Chatwin waiting in the ranks, so maybe I'll give that a whirl. See ya, BB. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
Jim gave me this book after our trip to Australia. This was my first Bill Bryson book and I loved every minute of it. He is an hilarious writer and makes me want to read more of his works before I travel to those locations. Highly recommend to anyone who has been to Australia, but enthusiastically recommend to anyone who is planning a trip there to read it before they go.
  SDWets | Apr 25, 2021 |
I thought I'd both learn a bit about Australia and try on Bill Bryson via his 2000 book In a Sunburned Country.

I did gain a bit more background knowledge about Australia (not much, but enough). I mostly had two reactions: (1) Bill Bryson is kinda mean. (2) Australia has SO MUCH overlap with my science fiction genre reading, it's not even funny. At least half of "new planet" science fiction books seem to be based on white people coming to Australia. That is totally obvious in retrospect, of course. ( )
  pammab | Mar 19, 2021 |
Well written book. Great story for those who love travel books. I liked the author's humor. ( )
  perkykeri | Mar 2, 2021 |
Boisterous and contagious, Bryson’s writing is a constant affectionate tease aimed at prodding the reader as much as the society and place that he is describing. Bryson loves Australia and he wants you to share his enthusiasm for it. Wherever Bryson is: gaping at a giant stuffed lobster on the roadside in the middle of the Australian outback, cursing himself as he tries to snorkel unsuccessfully in the Great Barrier Reef, or admiring Sydney’s harbor he writes with a love and a ruthlessness that only a sibling or best friend would dare to use.
added by mikeg2 | editYale University, Noam Schimmel (Jun 10, 2001)

Bryson, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davids, TinkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gower, NeilIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, Felicity, Catherine, and Sam
Flying into Australia, I realized with a sigh that I had forgotten again who their prime minister is.
published in Britain as "Down Under"

The author of "A Walk in the Woods" now chronicles his exploration of Australia. This good-humoured traveller relates his outback adventures with anecdotes
about the history and local inhabitants. Describes the harsh terrain and hostile wildlife including crocodiles, poisonous snakes, and attacking seashells.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,219,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible