The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

The Notebook (original 1996; edition 2004)

by Nicholas Sparks

Member:shardee13
Title:The Notebook
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Warner Books (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 239 pages

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (1996)

Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks (krizia_lazaro)
    The Pact by Jodi Picoult (nu-bibliophile)
    Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks (khoov00)
    The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks (Anonymous user)
    Where the River Ends by Charles Martin (Nicnac63)
    Nicnac63: Charles Martin's writing style is similar to Nicholas Sparks'. Both display a great love story that stands the tests of hardships and time.
    Waiting For The Rain by mjeanpike (Norabee)
    Norabee: This is a truly beautiful love story that any fan of romance would love, but if you liked elements of The Notebook, you will definitely love this one - highly recommended
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (pinkkrypto)
    pinkkrypto: An amazing love story. Incredibly touching.
    One Summer by David Baldacci (JenniferRobb)

I have shied from reading The Notebook for many years only because I like the movie so much. I felt like the novel would never live up to the movie.

Published in 1996, The Notebook is Nicholas Sparks’ first book. When I started reading, I found the story progressed quickly. Early on Allie is visiting Noah after fourteen years of separation and while she is engaged to Lon. Their reunion was really sweet and I am a sucker for love reunited. The two reminisce about their summer together all those years ago and they catch up on what has happened since they last saw each other.

While the book and the movie differ in a few ways, they are pretty much the same. I wanted to read my favorite lines :”She had come back into his life like a sudden flame, blazing and streaming into his heart. Noah stayed up all night contemplating the certain agony he knew would be his, if he were to lose her twice….” But, alas it wasn’t to be, those lines are solely in the film version as were a few other favorites.

I like Noah’s character very much. He is a strong hero, quiet and poetic. Whats not to like? In the novel you really see that he is a lover of poetry and melts Allie’s heart with the way he speaks to her. His being poetic is one of the reasons she falls in love with him. I also enjoyed the beautiful love letters he writes to her.

While I enjoyed the novel, the film version is still my favorite. It was nice however to finally read the book. I did get teary eyed towards the end even though I knew what was going to happen and seeing it through Noah’s eyes got me.

Author Nicholas Sparks has a way with words and the sweet romances he pens tend to whisk me away very easily. He has got such a great handle on writing romances and love stories that are heartfelt. The Notebook is a favorite, right up there with Nights in Rodanthe and Message in a Bottle.

Disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any kind of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my copy of The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.
https://bookwormnai.wordpress.com/2016/06/26/the-notebook-by-nicholas-sparks/ ( )
  bookworm_naida | Jun 26, 2016 |
Saw the movie first, thought I would love the book - wrong! The movie was much better to me - more depth to the characters. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
I read this book because I had heard so much about the movie. The book was good. Interesting. But not as great as I thought it would be. The part where the couple is younger is terrific. I felt like the author got a lot of emotions correct. But the part where they are older didn't feel like the way an older person talks. The attitudes felt like a middle age person but in the body of an elderly person ( )
  KamGeb | Jun 4, 2016 |
Loved the book and loved the movie even more. This is definitely a classic. ( )
  nevans1972 | May 3, 2016 |
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks, is a beautifully simple story of the love two people share. In the days before the "Great Depression," two teenagers in New Bern North Carolina meet. Noah Calhoun and Allie Nelson catch a little southern summer magic and fall in love. Unfortunately, they are doomed to be parted, and at the end of the summer, Allie's disapproving parents take her away from Noah. For the next 14 years, Noah and Allie lead their separate lives, never forgetting the enchantment of that summer, and the passion they had for each other.

Noah moves to New Jersey to find work, and eventually enlists in the U.S. Army during WWII. When the war is over, having inherited a small fortune from his old boss, Noah returns to New Bern, buys the house he has always wanted, and gets to work restoring it. Meanwhile Allie, forced by her parents to marry a man with status within society, has become engaged to influential lawyer Lon Hammond. When she comes upon a chance newspaper story about Noah and the restoration of the old house, something stirs inside her. She doesn't fully understand the reasons, but Allie knows she must go to New Bern and see Noah.

Allie shows up at the house in New Bern to get some answers, and ends up spending the next two days getting to know Noah again. During their time together, something happens between them, and soon they are questioning their choices in life and their futures.

The Notebook is an intensely romantic story of the power of true love across time, across social conventions, and ultimately conquering all. The story is very simple and easy to read, but it captivates and touches the reader in a profound way. The setting of small town North Carolina is breathtaking, and only adds to the intoxicating feeling of the story. The love between Noah and Allie, from the time they are teenagers to the days they spend in the nursing home, is overwhelming.

I highly recommend this book as a quick read for any hopeless romantic. The story may be sweet and simplistic, but it is also dynamic and poignant - a beautiful story of the strength of true love. ( )
  Sandra_Berglund | Apr 5, 2016 |
This book is dedicated with love to Cathy, my wife and my friend.
Who am I? And how, I wonder, will this story end?
I am nothing special; of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Unknown if book or movie

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446605239, Mass Market Paperback)

"Somewhere," muses Noah Calhoun, while sitting on his porch in the moonight, "there were people making love." The Notebook, a Southern-fried story of love-lost-and-found-again, revolves around a single time-honored romantic dilemma: will beautiful Allison Nelson stay with Mr. Respectability (to whom she happens to be engaged), or will she choose Noah, the romantic rascal she left so many years ago?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:05 -0400)

An elderly lady with Alzheimer's disease listens to her old diaries that speak of the young love she has long forgotten.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,870,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible