The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

The Notebook (original 1996; edition 2004)

by Nicholas Sparks

Member:shardee13
Title:The Notebook
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Warner Books (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 239 pages

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (1996)

Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks (krizia_lazaro)
    The Pact by Jodi Picoult (nu-bibliophile)
    Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks (khoov00)
    The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks (Anonymous user)
    Where the River Ends by Charles Martin (Nicnac63)
    Nicnac63: Charles Martin's writing style is similar to Nicholas Sparks'. Both display a great love story that stands the tests of hardships and time.
    Waiting For The Rain by mjeanpike (Norabee)
    Norabee: This is a truly beautiful love story that any fan of romance would love, but if you liked elements of The Notebook, you will definitely love this one - highly recommended
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (pinkkrypto)
    pinkkrypto: An amazing love story. Incredibly touching.
    One Summer by David Baldacci (JenniferRobb)

English (109)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  All (1)  All (117)
I had not planned to read this, but Mom and Sister recommended it so highly. As I feared, it was a bit too much like a made-for-TV movie sponsored by a greeting card company. A touching, even inspiring, story about two people, but not enough character development of them as individuals for my taste. It is interesting, though, how Noah's could make a connection with Allie, despite her Alzheimer's. There is evidence that a connection can be made through caring and love even in the absence of memory...that your relative may not know who you are but still be able to feel the genuine caring you have for them.

And yes, despite all I said, the book did bring a tear to my eye, as my Mom knew it would. ( )
  LynnB | Jul 18, 2017 |
I just have to start this review by saying how wonderful and beautiful and amazing this story is. I've enjoyed it with every fiber of my body and, yes, I've cried like a baby while reading it. I literally had to stop two or three times because I just couldn't even read anymore. Too many tears.
Nicholas Sparks wrote this story in a really simple, straightforward manner which makes it easy and quick to read. The story is told from both Noah's as Allie's perspective, a necessity to grasp all the feelings that are tumbling around.

At first I felt the love Sparks describes is a little over the top, but as I kept reading it started feeling right. As if there really could be a love as great as that in this world. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. But wouldn't it be absolutely beautiful if it exists?

"My daddy used to tell me that the first time you fall in love, it changes your life forever, and no matter how hard you try, the feelin' never goes away. This girl you been tellin' me about was your first love. and no matter what you do, she'll stay with you forever."

The only thing I got a little annoyed by, is that there were too little separate paragraphs, if you know what I mean. I usually read on until I get to the end of a paragraph so I can easily read on later. Sometimes those paragraphs were half a chapter - and the chapters are huge. But that's just a minor annoyance I had.

I wish I could make this review longer, since it really deserves that, but I don't want to spoil anything for those of you who haven't read The Notebook yet.

If you're in for a good cry, want to try to grasp what love can be about and if you want that beautiful, tender love oozing out of pages... Just pick up this book and start reading. I know you won't regret it.

"In times of grief and sorrow I will hold and rock you, and take your grief and make it my own. When you cry, I cry, and when you hurt, I hurt. And together we will try to hold back the floods of tears and despair and make it through the potholed streets of life."

Just make sure you have some tissues at hand.

4,5/5

Kathy

I bought this book secondhand and this is my honest review for which I am not being compensated in any way. All opinions are fully my own. ( )
  booksandmunches | Jul 17, 2017 |
This is a story about a great love story. The two in love part their ways but reconnect after some time apart. They end up getting married and having a family together, but the woman ends up developing dementia, doesn't remember her husband, but has flashbacks to when they were younger. They end up dying together, which is a sad ending to a love story. ( )
  TarynNicole | May 10, 2017 |
I will admit that I only vaguely remember seeing the movie when I was in high school, at a sleepover, and hopped up on Jolt Cola. I remember the kiss, the rain, and the end (which is different in the book!). With that limited knowledge in mind I picked up this quick read (I finished it in less than two hours) and had virtually no expectations. I'm not the biggest Nicholas Sparks fan but this book wasn't awful. Was it great? No. Was it way too good of a romance to be true? Yes. But overall, it wasn't a horrible way to pass the time. An old man in a nursing home reads out of a notebook to an elderly woman every day, the middle of the book is the story contained in the notebook and it's book ended by the "present day" story of the old man. The story he reads to her is about ill fated romance and the rekindling of youthful love. It's emotional, slightly unbelievable, and good fluff. I think I prefer the movie (Ryan Reynolds, hubba hubba) but I won't know until I actually rewatch it. ( )
  ecataldi | Apr 13, 2017 |
I actually didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would. Loved the movie, but the book is only getting 3 stars from me....can't really pinpoint what didn't thrill me about it...who's to say. It was still a good book, just not as good as I had expected :( ( )
  beautyandtheblog | Feb 13, 2017 |
This book is dedicated with love to Cathy, my wife and my friend.
Who am I? And how, I wonder, will this story end?
I am nothing special; of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446605239, Mass Market Paperback)

"Somewhere," muses Noah Calhoun, while sitting on his porch in the moonight, "there were people making love." The Notebook, a Southern-fried story of love-lost-and-found-again, revolves around a single time-honored romantic dilemma: will beautiful Allison Nelson stay with Mr. Respectability (to whom she happens to be engaged), or will she choose Noah, the romantic rascal she left so many years ago?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:05 -0400)

An elderly lady with Alzheimer's disease listens to her old diaries that speak of the young love she has long forgotten.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,187,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible