The Beggar King (2010)

by Oliver Pötzsch

Series: The Hangman's Daughter (3)

1662. Alpine village hangman Jakob Kuisl receives a letter from his sister calling him to the imperial city of Regensburg, where a gruesome sight awaits him: her throat has been slit. Arrested and framed for the murder, Kuisl faces first-hand the torture he's administered himself for years. Jakob's daughter, Magdalena, and a young medicus named Simon hasten to his aid. With the help of an underground network of beggars, a beer-brewing monk, and an Italian playboy, they discover that behind the false accusation is a plan that will endanger the entire German Empire.… (more)

This series is heavy reading. The majority of the characters are misogynist, closed-minded, uneducated, and almost entirely un-likeable. Magdalena is ok, but I have to believe that the only reason she is in love with Simon is that there is no one better in her small, horrible village. Sure, I know that life in small European villages in the 1600's was full of misogyny and superstition, and that the churches were pushing back against secular forces, and that they encouraged mistrust of all things intellectual for anyone not born to a wealthy, elite family. Still, I find it hard to enjoy these books, or to be sympathetic towards most of the characters. I was rooting for the hangman and his whole family and Simon to emigrate to the New World (which was an option by the latter half of the 1600's) so that their whole rotten village could enjoy life without their favorite scapegoats, only I don't like the hangman either. Unfortunately, when the hangman vanished in Regensberg and the village was turning against his family in his absence, they didn't just pick up and emigrate without him. That would have been a far better outcome than the actual novel. Oh well. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 15, 2023 |
As with the previous books in this series, I felt that this was overly long but I did like the fact that the hangman's daughter played a bigger role in this entry. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 27, 2023 |
I've fallen in love with the characters in Oliver Pötzsch's series - hangman Jakob Kuisl, his daughter Magdalena, and the physician's son Simon. this third book felt a bit like a rehash of the last with some villain roles reversed, but I still enjoyed it. fast paced, historically rich, and still leaves me wishing for more. hoping there's a fourth in the works. ( )
  reneeg | Dec 14, 2022 |
  reneeg | Dec 14, 2022 |
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |

Oliver Pötzschprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chadeayne, LeeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Sobald ein Soldat wird geboren,
sind ihm drei Bauern auserkoren.
Der erste, der ihn ernährt, der andere,
der ihm ein schön Weib beschert,
der dritte, der für ihn zur Holle fährt.

Whenever a soldier is born,
three peasants are chosen for him:
One to provide his fare,
another to procure him a lusty wench,
and a third one to go to hell in his stead.
--a verse from the Thirty Year's War.
For Katrin, with love. It takes a strong woman to put up with a Kuisl.
Die Reiter der Apokalypse trugen blutrote Beinkleider, zerfetzte Waffenröcke und Mäntel, die wie Fahnen im Wind hinter ihnen herflatterten.
The riders of the Apocalypse wore blood-red leggings, tattered uniforms, and coats that fluttered in the wind like flags behind them.

The hangman's daughter
has to prove his innocence
of a grisly crime.
(passion4reading)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,471,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible