Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and…

Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Portia de Rossi (Author)

Known for her roles on the hit TV shows "Ally McBeal" and "Arrested Development," de Rossi delivers a revelatory and searing account of the years she spent secretly suffering from bulimia, all the while living under the glare of Hollywood's bright lights.
Member:Jsam
Title:Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain
Authors:Portia de Rossi (Author)
Info:Atria Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages

Work Information

Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain by Portia de Rossi (2010)

I loved Ally Mcbeal, and I loved Portia's character Nelle Porter. It was mind-blowing to learn all of the things that had been going on in her head during the filming. Portia is a very good writer. Completely honest, very vivid, and definitely brings you right into the mind of the sick person, not the healthy one looking back. I've seen a few interviews of her talking about the book and you can tell just how emotional it was to write this (and still talk about it). If anyone ever wants to know just what body image and food can do to a person, they should read this book. She mentions more than once, anorexia and bulimia are horrible, but also people who live their lives on a diet, always focusing on their food etc. is horrible as well. I can relate to that part. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
This book certainly gave me a lot to think about, and really educates the reader on the relationship between food, control and the external influence of others for a sufferer of a food and eating-related disorder. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
Excellent account. Very honest. ( )
  Jean.Walker | Sep 1, 2019 |
Portia de Rossi writes a striking memoir about her struggles with eating disorders as a model/actor, especially during her time starring in Ally McBeal. Her writing is honest and affective and her perspective is eye-opening--it is like being in the mind of an addict, who is seriously obsessed with food and exercise, who deludes herself into thinking that eating 600 calories per day is healthy, and who can still see an inch of extra fat that needs to be lost even when she weighs less than 90 pounds.

I highly recommend this memoir for someone interested in eating disorders and/or mental health. ( )
  alyssajp | Jul 29, 2019 |
This book was hard to read at times because, while I don't have an eating disorder, I suffer from BDD and recognize a lot of her feelings in myself. It's hard to read about sometimes debilitatingly low self-esteem in others if you also have it because it makes you realize how truly awful it can feel.

I thought the book was well written and shows how low she went, which was shocking at times. I don't recommend this book to anyone who could relapse by triggers, because this book has a lot of them. I also don't recommend this book to anyone who still suffers from an eating disorder because it could be said that this book has a lot of disordered "ideas." It has a happy ending though, which a lot of books about eating disorders do not have. ( )
  thisismelissaanne | Oct 29, 2018 |
To Ellen, for showing me what beauty is
He doesn't wait until I'm awake.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,992,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible