Zombies and Shit by Carlton Mellick Iii

Zombies and Shit (edition 2010)

by Carlton Mellick Iii (Author), Brian Keene (Introduction)

Battle Royale meets Return of the Living Dead in this post-apocalyptic action adventure Twenty people wake to find themselves in a boarded-up building in the middle of the zombie wasteland. They soon realize they have been chosen as contestants on a popular reality show called Zombie Survival. Each contestant is given a backpack of supplies and a unique weapon. Their goal: be the first to make it through the zombie-plagued city to the pick-up zone alive. But because there's only one seat available on the helicopter, the contestants not only have to fight off the hordes of the living dead, they must also fight each other. Zombies and Shit is Mellick's craziest book to date. A campy, trashy, punk rock gore fest that is as funny as it is brutal, as sad as it is strange. An edge-of-your-seat thrill ride that twists the zombie genre into something you've never seen before.… (more)
Member:jodiesohl
Title:Zombies and Shit
Authors:Carlton Mellick Iii (Author)
Other authors:Brian Keene (Introduction)
Info:Deadite Press (2010), 312 pages

Zombies and Shit by Carlton Mellick III

REVIEWED: Zombies and Shit
WRITTEN BY: Carlton Mellick III
PUBLISHED: October, 2010

First of all, this book is not for everyone. In fact, this book is probably not for 99% of the reading population out there. But for those of you who love fast-paced action, horror, complete saturation of bizarro writing, and laughing-til-you're crying black humor, this is the novel for you. Basically, this is the literary equivalent of watching a Troma Movie - either you love it or you hate it. I loved it... more than most of what I've read this year. I didn't have the highest of expectations as I delved into the first chapter - the characters seemed flat, typical. But by the third or fourth chapter, I was hooked, and the characters were anything but typical. Every one of them had a fascinating background story that interrelated into the others with shocks, twists, and amazement. This book is recommended to anyone with a dark sense of humor or is looking for something unlike anything they've ever read before. Side note: T-2000 is the Best. Character. Ever. ( )
  Eric_J._Guignard | Jul 26, 2018 |
Heads up to those with a delicate stomach! – This zombie book steps over the edge of graphic and a few times into the realms of disgusting!

This is one of the strangest books I have yet to read, with that said I got a huge flipping kick out of it! If you think you can handle some really crazy stuff and you are jonsezing for some zombie action – you should definitely give this book a try. It is a quick action packed read.

One of the things I loved about this book was the photo roster at the beginning of the book (and throughout the book). It shows you thumbnail black and white sketches of all 20 zombie survivalists. As you progress through the book it shows you the photo roster again a handful of times with the people that have had their goose cooked blacked out. An important thing to note is this book swaps points of view almost every chapter to a different character. One moment you think you know what is going to happen but the fact of the matter is – you really just can’t – not with this author Mellick.

Some of this had me laughing out loud, while a few short bits had me biting back the bile rising in my throat. I think it gives you a real glimpse into what could potentially happen if the zombie crud were to really hit the fan. It’s sick, twisted, with dark humor and a few unexpected heartwarming moments. This goes way beyond gritty. I highly recommend it to the veteran zombie fan who is in need of something new! ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |
This was my second Bizarro book I've read, and the first one I've read by CM3. There's not much I can add that the other reviewers haven't already said. It is essentially Battle Royale but with zombies. It is a lot of fun to read and the illustrations (pictures of the contestants) are neat. This book was very exciting and my favorite character was Mr. T. Hilarious! ( )
  Magadri | Mar 21, 2014 |
After reading Carlton Mellick III's Zombies and Shit, I think it's safe to say that I have a new favorite zombie novel. The book describes itself as "Battle Royale meets Return of the Living Dead," and unlike most comparisons on the back covers of books, this one is accurate.

A group of twenty people wake up to find that they've been dumped in the middle of a zombie-infested city and are now the unwilling contestants on a reality show called Zombie Survival. Each contestant is given a weapon and told that the only way out is to make it to a helicopter on the other side of the city. Unfortunately, there's only one seat on the helicopter, so only one person gets to return to civilization.

There are quite a lot of interesting characters. As with much of bizarro, there is a strong punk influence, and several of the characters are punks including the members of a punk street gang and a squad of "merc punks," who are professional zombie killers. Then there's a washed-up writer and his back-stabbing wife, an inventor, an underage prostitute, the former host of the show, a Nazi, a genetically engineered killing machine, and a cybernetic Mr. T.

That's right, Mr. T is a character in this book, and I pity the fool who doesn't read it. ( )
  yoyogod | Sep 23, 2012 |
Zombies and Shit, the name alone is awesome. Just wait till you open the book! A great read for anyone. It was inspired by the movie Battle Royale, and it shows. It has the thrills of Battle Royale, with the scariness of zombies. This book honestly made me say what I was thinking out loud while I was reading it.
The 20 "players" have very different personalities and are blast to get to know. Its hard not to feel sad when one of the "players" takes a turn for the worse, or dies. Zombies and Shit is one of my all time favorite books by Carlton Mellick. If you love zombies, death, thrills, assholes, traitors, necrophiliacs, or just plain love a game show that's clearly unfair, grab a copy of Zombies and Shit. You will NOT regret it. ( )
  DeathsMistress | Jul 6, 2012 |

Reality show
With zombies and Mister T
Set in the future!
(yoyogod)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,289,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible