John Burnet of Barns by John Buchan

John Burnet of Barns (original 1898; edition 2008)

by John Buchan (Author)

The turbulent 'Killing Times' of the Covenanters is the backdrop to a desperate struggle between lifelong rivals.John Burnet of Barns, the last of an ancient line of Border Reivers, returns home from abroad to find himself denounced as an agent of the Covenanters. Outlawed and deprived of his inheritance by his ruthless cousin, Captain Gilbert Burnet, John must now fight just to survive.John Buchan's first full-length work of fiction is a tale of adventure in the tradition of Robert Louis Stevenson.… (more)
Member:VioletCrown
Title:John Burnet of Barns
Authors:John Buchan (Author)
Info:Birlinn (2008), Edition: Authorised, 304 pages

John Burnet of Barns by John Buchan (1898)

An old and tattered hardback, obviously bought in a secondhand shop somewhere, turns up when Susanne does a spring clean with my name written in it. Most likely left there when we lived with them in 1989 for a few months - I have no memory of it at all. Now I have read it twice. I love the scottish dialect which rings true on the ear (and heart) and the miles of empty spaces in southern scotland. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |
A good yarn from another age. A relaxing antidote to modern writing! ( )
  thewriterswife | Mar 26, 2018 |
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Buchan's first full-length novel. First published in1898. Great novel for a nineteen year old. Celebrates moderation in the face of conflict. The hero is a young man of action impelled by the code of honour that bound Border clans and families. Just as influential is the relationship between Border characters and their homeland, in this case the valleys and hills associated with the River Tweed.
  ivanfranko | Oct 18, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,565,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible