The Starlight Barking by Dodie Smith

The Starlight Barking (original 1967; edition 1976)

by Dodie Smith, Janet and Anne Grahame-Johnstone (Illustrator)

Member:Ladylark
Title:The Starlight Barking
Authors:Dodie Smith
Other authors:Janet and Anne Grahame-Johnstone (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Inc (1976), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 147 pages

The Starlight Barking by Dodie Smith (1967)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All (9)
Waking up late one day, Pongo finds that none of the humans will wake up. He finds out that the same has happened all over the country, and then dogs everywhere hear the voice of Lord Sirius the dogstar, offering to free them from their humans.
  wichitafriendsschool | Jul 22, 2017 |
If you say to people 'oh yes, there's a sequel to 101 Dalmations where a space alien puts all the humans to sleep and tells the dogs they should leave with him, because the humans are likely to destroy the world with atomic bombs, and he gives all the dogs magical powers so they can fly', not many people believe you. But there is. ( )
  atreic | Apr 5, 2017 |
I always loved this book as a child. I lent my copy to my sister-in-law who became my ex and then late sister-in-law and never got it back. Happy to have found another copy after all these years and enjoyed the book as much as ever. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
A sequel to 101 Dalmatians, in which our intrepid canines wake up one morning to discover that dogs are the only creatures awake in the world. I liked a lot of things about this story (particularly Cadpig as the Prime Minister’s dog), but I found the message decidedly heavy-handed and Sirius (no, not that Sirius, you silly Harry Potter reader) frankly creepy, and the plot falls rather flat at the end. I’m glad I read it, but I’m also glad I checked it out from the library. ( )
1 vote castiron | May 10, 2013 |
Dodie Smith's writing is always rather fun, but The Starlight Barking does suffer when taken as a sequel to A Hundred and One Dalmatians. The topic is such a contrast -- instead of the anthropomorphic but somehow believable concept of two dogs going off to find their pups, who have been dognapped to be used to make fur coats, now we have something that is pretty sci-fi-ish in nature, with a Moral snuck in about humans fighting and maybe even trying to destroy the world. It just doesn't really work with the fun and witty first book. The humour in this book is sort of at the dogs' expense, really: laughing at Cadpig and her self-important ways, and the Cabinet of dogs echoing the real Cabinet, and things like that.

I loved it a lot when I was younger, but the mismatch is unbearable somehow now. As an adult, I'd give it two stars, but based on my previous enjoyment, I gave it three. Still, I wouldn't say it's unmissable. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Dodie Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grahame-Johnston, AnneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grahame-Johnston, JanetIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not long ago there lived in Suffolk a hundred and one Dalmatians whose adventures had once thrilled all the dogs of England.

Dodie Smith's The Hundred and One Dalmatians, later adapted by Disney, was declared a classic when first published in 1956. The Starlight Barking, Dodie's own long-forgotten sequel, is a thrilling new adventure for Pongo and his family, lavishly illustrated by the same artist team as the first book. As the story opens, every living creature except dogs is gripped by an enchanted sleep. One of the original Dalmatian puppies, all grown up since the first novel, is now the Prime Minister's mascot. Relying on her spotted parents for guidance, she assumes emergency leadership for the canine population of England. Awaiting advice from Sirius, the Dog Star, dogs of every breed crowd Trafalgar Square to watch the evening skies. The message they receive is a disturbing proposition, one that might forever destroy their status as "man's best friend."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:54 -0400)

When they awake to find that every living creature in England, except the dogs, is asleep, Dalmatians Pongo and Missis discover unusual abilities that lead them to London where their daughter is assembling all breeds of dogs to await contact from Sirius, the Dog Star.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,529,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible