dismiss

City of Lost Souls (5) (The Mortal…

City of Lost Souls (5) (The Mortal Instruments) (edition 2015)

by Cassandra Clare (Author)

When Jace vanishes with Sebastian, Clary and the Shadowhunters struggle to piece together their shattered world and Clary infiltrates the group planning the world's destruction.
Member:Letora
Title:City of Lost Souls (5) (The Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare (Author)
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2015), Edition: Reissue, 592 pages
Collections:Urban Fantasy, Young Adult, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:shadowhunters, fantasy, demons, angels, romance

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

English (143)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (146)
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: City of Lost Souls

Sebastian and Jace have been bound by Lilith’s blood magic. Their minds have begun to align with one another, sharing each other’s beliefs. And to make matters worse, one cannot be harmed without the other sharing their pain. While the Clave sees Jace as expendable and will do anything to rid the world of Sebastian, Clary and the others are desperate to find a way to separate the boys. But time is against them as they try to find a near impossible solution.

Clary is once again racing to save Jace. But while the first time I read this book, I devoured every page, this time around it took me a bit longer to finish reading. The themes were too similar to the earlier novel, and it felt like a repeat of what I’d just read. City of Lost Souls does take a markedly darker turn and starts to push on some taboos that made me feel awkward reading. In that effect it was well written and hit all the buttons it meant to. However, the secondary characters and subplots that create the City of Lost Souls overtook the actual plot.

There is much less emphasis on Jace and Clary, and a lot more relationship drama with every other couple in the book. I don’t need to know what every single couple is doing. There are characters that are barely seen yet I can tell you exactly how their relationship is doing. I want more world building; I want more background and story outside of relationship troubles.

I was happy to see the Iron Sisters, though I do wish more time were spent with them. Readers are only allowed a glimpse into their culture and beliefs. They seemed sharp-witted and fastidious in their ways. But then again, I don’t really know because their scene was so brief in comparison to the vampires, werewolves, or even the Silent Brothers in earlier novels.

City of Lost Souls was missing the conflicts and tension the earlier novels displayed so well. The relationship filler also needed to be cut back to allow the main plot to progress at a better rate. Too many stories were told within the pages of this book. I think for some it would have been best if they had their own separate novel. ( )
  Letora | Jun 27, 2020 |
Surprisingly, I enjoyed this book. Jace was the same as he ever was, so I don't know what it was with him being 'possessed'. ( )
  Linde1 | Apr 30, 2020 |
Cassandra Clare has done it again... she's made me salivate for the next book. This one it was a little rough to get into for the first few chapters or so. But once Clary finally broken away from her mom who by the way I think is highly "ANNOYING!" It got surprisingly better. I really enjoyed seeing Clary, with Jace and Sebastian without any interference it gave you a different perspective on things. Of course Sebastian is an megalomaniac to the extreme, I mean worse than Valentine ever dreamed of being. Jace well even though he wasn't the real Jace you at least got to see him relaxed and having fun. I loved seeing the carefree Jace and I hope to see a little more of him in the further books. I'm so sad though for Alec I loved him and Magnus together I also hope Isabelle gets off her high horse and tells Simon how she feels about him. But the story as a whole, well it's getting more and more interesting as it goes. I'm quite happy that Ms. Clare decided to keep going on with the series, there is just so much you can do with it. Now also with the mentioning's of a "Will Herondale" that I'm totally loving as well. Still a great series and I cannot wait for the next book to come out on both of her series. ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
So tense, can't wait for the next book! ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Honestly, my feelings about the plot and the characters remain the same as my previous reading, but I just couldn't stand those directly quoted paragraphs from either like three pages before or even from different books. Every time one of those showed up, I imagined those flashback scenes from Twilight set to the music of Christina Perri. Like, why not just say Clary remembered what he had said and leave it at that, or, idk, let me draw my own conclusions and connections for once?

(Original rating: 5 stars)

After the literary trainwreck of City of Fallen Angels, I had no expectations for this book, but my stubbornness kept me from not reading the next installment. I've never been more happy with how annoying I am. City of Lost Souls is just what a good YA dark fantasy book ought to be. The engaging plot, the twists and turns, the multiple perspectives, gave this book what its predecessor lacked: substance. Every character was actively advancing the plot in one way or another, steadily without a rushed climax. While some of the plot twists were obvious, it didn't feel like the author was dumbing down the reader, rather I felt more like a detective who had successfully solved the mystery. The unexpected twists were even more welcome then.

I am eager to finish the series and move onto the stories that follow, as the world of Shadowhunters is full of wonders. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fritz, FrancaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, MikeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No man chooses evil because it is evil.
He only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
- Mary Wollstonecraft
Love is a familiar. Love is a devil. There is no evil angel but Love.
-William Shakespeare,Love's Labour's Lost
I love you as one loves certain dark things
-Pablo Neruda, "Sonnet XVII"
All changed utterly:
A terrible beauty is born.

-William Butler Yeats, "Easter, 1916"
For Nao,
Tim, David,
and Ben
"How much longer will the verdict take, do you think?" Clary asked. - Chapter 1
Simon stood and stared numbly at the front door of his house. - Prologue
(p 155)

Simon, I've been trying to call you, bit it seems like
your phone is turned off. I don't know where your are
right now. I don't know if Clary's already told you
what happened tonight. But I have to go to Magnus's
and I'd really like you to be there.

I'm never scared, but I'm scared for Jace. I'm scared
for my brother. I never ask you for anything, Simon,
but I'm asking you now. Please come.

Isabelle.
(p 379)

Now this is the Law of the Jungle,
as old and as true as the sky,
And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk,
the Law runneth forward and back;
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
(p 388-389)

To mirror when she straightaway
And did her ebon hair array
And for her gown she much did pay.
Then down she walked along the street,
A handsome lad she chanced to meet,
And sore by dawn were her dainty feet,
But all the boys were gay.
(p 432)

Black for hunting through the night
For death and sorrow, the color's white.
Gold for a bride in her wedding gown,
And red to call enchantment down."

Can the lost be reclaimed? What price is too high to pay for love? Who can be trusted when sin and salvation collide?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge.

Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,600,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible