Unicorns Don't Give Sleigh Rides (The…

Unicorns Don't Give Sleigh Rides (The Adventures of the Bailey School… (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Debbie Dadey (Author), John Steven Gurney (Illustrator)

There are some pretty weird grown-ups living in Bailey City. But could Mr. Withers at the Bailey Stables really be hiding a magical unicorn? The Bailey School Kids are going to find out!
Member:MegaKami1995
Title:Unicorns Don't Give Sleigh Rides (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, No. 28)
Authors:Debbie Dadey (Author)
Other authors:John Steven Gurney (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic (1997), 80 pages

Unicorns Don't Give Sleigh Rides by Debbie Dadey (1997)

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
A silly series that creates more questions than it answers. It's great for formulating theories as well as predictions. The class dynamics should be very familiar to those of the Magic School Bus generation.
  benuathanasia | Sep 12, 2012 |
(I now maintain a blog just for my kid-lit reviews. Find it at http://kidlit4adults.blogspot.com .)

A friend has convinced me to try my hand this year for the first time at writing children's literature; but I don't actually know anything about children's literature, so am starting the process among other ways by first reading a stack of popular books that have been recommended to me. Today's titles are from yet another of these series of endless chapter-books designed for grade-schoolers, in this case all of them co-penned by a duo of friends who used to be grade-school teachers themselves; this is one of the types of employment I myself am hoping to find in the industry, to kick out such easy-reading 30,000-word titles once a month or so, which is why I'm reading so many of them these days. Now, admittedly, this particular series is based on a high-concept that I find tough to imagine lasting for as long as it has; basically, each title features yet another new adult in the lives of our middle-class child heroes who may or may not be a mythological creature, exhibiting strange traits throughout the story but never just coming out and saying whether they're a mummy or vampire or whatever. (And in fact there are almost 75 books in this series now, nearly all of them featuring a different mythological creature, which just on its own is pretty impressive.) These are very much for the younger end of the chapter-book crowd, in my opinion from ages 7 to about 9 or 10, featuring lots of illustrations and a ton of silly humor; and to their credit Dadey and Jones are much more interested in simply being entertaining than in trying to teach a moral lesson, usually a common trait among books for this age group. They're nothing special, but certainly readable and fun, and come recommended for younger readers looking for their first dose of genre excitement but wanting to avoid dark material altogether. ( )
  jasonpettus | Mar 2, 2010 |

Debbie Dadeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jones, Marcia Thorntonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gurney, John StevenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Krystal, Pistol Pete, Jessie, Juffles, Bailey, Cleo, and all the lovable animals waiting in shelters - and to people dedicated to finding homes for furry friends!

~ DD and MTJ
"Are you sure you can make it?" Melody asked Liza.

There are some pretty weird grown-ups living in Bailey City. But could Mr. Withers at the Bailey Stables really be hiding a unicorn?
The Bailey School Kids are going to find out!

"That horse was an ordinary horse," Eddie said.
"He was even wearing one of Mr. Withers' jingle bells."
"Eddie must be right," Melody said. "After all, unicorns don't live in Bailey City."
"And they definitely don't give sleigh rides," Howie added.
Eddie nodded. "That horse I saw was just a horse," he said. "And I have a plan to prove it!"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,254,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible